Well, I did it again...another John Deere 425 AWS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I came across the opportunity to buy another John Deere 425 AWS, and simply couldn't walk away.

I've had a 1995 JD 425 AWS since I bought it new in 1996. It has the 54" deck. Today, it is just a few hours shy of 3000 hours.

Last week, I came across a 1997 JD 425 AWS for sale, about a 20 minute drive away. This one has the 60" deck. The owner works for the local JD dealership, so it has been maintained well. For those who are familiar with this Kawasaki engine, the cam work has already been done on it.

It has 1000 hours on it, and runs like a champ. It has been used to mow a 2 acre yard. The owner decided to sell it, so he could buy a JD zero turn that came in on trade, where he works. I've done nearly all of the repairs on the older 425 unit, so that was a big factor in buying another one.

Since it is still winter, and I don't have much else better to do, I went through and did the following on the 1997, whether it needed it or not:

Changed the oil with Rotella T4 10w-30 and MicroGard (Wix) 51394 filter
Greased everything
Changed the fuel filter
Changed the NGK spark plugs
Changed the coolant with Peak LongLife coolant
Cleaned the air filters
Installed brighter headlight bulbs (1295)

A new high-back seat (one to match the one on the older unit) is on order, along with a set of Gator Blades.

I also pulled the deck out from underneath it, to power wash it, change the oil in the gearbox with synthetic, sharpen the blades, and touch up the paint in a few spots.

I have zero worries that the 1997 unit won't make it to 3000 hours (or more) as well.

IMG_20170204_120112501_zpseex0636c.jpg

IMG_20170205_153413539_zps9isdfdpa.jpg

A nice machine for when you have a lot of area to mow.

My neighbor has a Deere 455 AWS, with a 3-cyl Yanmar diesel.

I sold a 425 non aws last spring. Be sure and change the hydro filter while you're in there. I went with the JD lo vis hydro oil iirc. Great machines.

Last edited:
Probably my favorite series of Deere. I've seen a few of them with front loaders on them. Even better that the plastic cam was replaced. I never thought garden tractors needed power steering until I drove one of these LOL.

Nice machine's. My neighbor was looking for one a few years ago with the power flow bagger. I saw such a unit at one of our local John Deere dealer's and being stupid, I told him about it instead of buying it for myself. Oh well, the old 210 and 212 are still in top condition.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Nice backup machine. Are you going to sell your older one to recoup some cost?

How much does a used unit like that go for?

I'm going to keep the one with 3000 hours. It will be moving from being the primary, to being the backup machine.

I paid $2500 for the 1997 with 1000 hours on it. MSRP in 1997 was $10,520. It is AWS with a 60" deck, and that's exactly what I was wanting.

Prices on these are all over the place. They range from $1500 to $4000. The nearest comparable units to me (AWS, 60" deck, around 1000 hours) within 200 miles were averaging around $3500. This one was 20 miles away.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
I sold a 425 non aws last spring. Be sure and change the hydro filter while you're in there. I went with the JD lo vis hydro oil iirc. Great machines.

I'll change it out before I put the deck back underneath it. That hydro filter is a lot easier to swap out when there isn't a mower deck in the way...
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
I never thought garden tractors needed power steering until I drove one of these LOL.

I never thought garden tractors needed power all wheel steering until I drove one of these...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back