Well I bought a Subaru let the adventures begin.

She is a one owner car had all the paperwork. 193,000 had the heads and clutch timing belt etc all done at 106,000. Subaru ended up covering the repair for the guy. I paid $7500. It has a clear bra and Motegi wheels and updated sound system. Other than that she's all stock. What oil should I run in her? Is a 5w40 euro oil to thick? I think 5w30 is the factory recommendation but then it goes into how you can use other oil in certain climates.

Attachments

• 20230508_142058.jpg
    20230508_142058.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 97
  • 20230508_142128.jpg
    20230508_142128.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 98
She is a one owner car had all the paperwork. 193,000 had the heads and clutch timing belt etc all done at 106,000. Subaru ended up covering the repair for the guy. I paid $7500. It has a clear bra and Motegi wheels and updated sound system. Other than that she's all stock. What oil should I run in her? Is a 5w40 euro oil to thick? I think 5w30 is the factory recommendation but then it goes into how you can use other oil in certain climates.
Had a Subaru Legacy I bought new. Easily some of the worst paint adhesion I have ever seen. A clear bra by the previous owner was a very wise move. Enjoy your "new to you" vehicle.

A euro 5w30 HTHS 3.5> works great in these.

If you dig into it, some of the old WRX's didn't fare well using the fuel economy 5W30's meant for Detroit. Spun bearings as an example.
I once owned an 07' WRX I bought new. NASIOC is an old Subaru Impreza board. WRX's have not so great rated EPA MPG numbers and Subaru wasn't about to go the old VAG route and spec a proper oil and say heck with the EPA.

From everything I have read on the Subaru discussion boards, a stout 5W-30 is by far the preferred motor oil for these cars. Shell Rotella T6 is very popular.
Isn't that a diesel oil? Guess that won't hurt the cats or anything?

From everything I have read on the Subaru discussion boards, a stout 5W-30 is by far the preferred motor oil for these cars. Shell Rotella T6 is very popular.
shell t6 is good stuff. if it can get a turbo diesel to 370,000 miles it should be fine in almost anything

It's not a modern subaru unless you lift it and put A/T tires on it, along with the obligatory contrasting RallyArmor mudflaps

take it offroading in stock form first. if you don't get stuck and don't plan on doing harder trails then skip the lift and get some good all season tires like Michelin defender.

It's not a modern subaru unless you lift it and put A/T tires on it, along with the obligatory contrasting RallyArmor mudflaps
I've often thought it would be fun to turn a WRX into a rally car. But the cool lights, that go across the top of the grill, would be mandatory.

I've often thought it would be fun to turn a WRX into a rally car. But the cool lights, that go across the top of the grill, would be mandatory.
Well, back into a rally car (the "R" in WRX stands for Rally) that is. But most owners these days do decidedly "un-rally" kinds of mods to their cars, like lowering springs and lip kits that would hang up on the average rally trail....

But yeah you could definitly make it more off-road worthy with some meaty tires, a modest lift kit, mudflaps, lights, etc. That would stand out from most of the others!

Back