Well, he's got pretty good teeth

Status
Not open for further replies.
140808122043-01-selfie-monkey-0808-story-top.jpeg

I think he is missing a lateral incisor which is on his left side while you are looking at the picture. Got some nice central incisors to bite with. Be easy to work on

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
For people who didn't see this, this is a monkey selfie in which is owner of the camera is claiming copyright. Wikimedia foundation refuses to take down the photo since the camera owner did not take the picture.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2014/08/06/monkey_selfie_who_owns_the_copyright.html

The photographer needs to get over himself. Wiki makes no profit from this work and the photographer only gains.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
The photographer needs to get over himself. Wiki makes no profit from this work and the photographer only gains.

Exactly. Here is how I see it for simplicity for us.

Copyright: Did you take the photo?
Slater: No, but it is my camera and trip.

Copyright: Well it is now Copy-Left and Public Domain.
Slater: It's my equipment, trip, and website.

Copyright: Lets say you're a kid in elementary school and sat next to the young Bram Stoker or Bruce Springsteen.
And Bram/Bruce took your pencil from your desk before going to lunch and having a Virgil's Rootbeer float with the class.
Now Bram writes out Dracula and or Bruce writes Born in the USA. Does that mean you own it?
No.
Sure its your equipment and trip, but you didn't take the shot, sure you posted it on your website, and you told the Internet about how a monkey took it. You lost 14 grand and a lawyer gained 14 grand.

6802d88e153ab306ca7679a9260cce1b2842c3967362ddaeb8b57a0af900b6d3.jpg

Originally Posted By: rjundi
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
For people who didn't see this, this is a monkey selfie in which is owner of the camera is claiming copyright. Wikimedia foundation refuses to take down the photo since the camera owner did not take the picture.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2014/08/06/monkey_selfie_who_owns_the_copyright.html

The issue is with copyright in general, not just one site; if a travel agency suddenly uses this for a killer advertising campaign which attracts 100's of thousands of $ of business, I'd like to think the legal system is a bit more nuanced than "sucks for you"

"The work" of others might be a bit more than pressing a button on a camera, but could include the effort put in to positioning oneself in an opportunistic place.

I was reading on Wikipedia about those monkeys. The Celebes Crested Macaque is an endangered species. They are found on a limited island range and get in conflict with farmers. Interesting animal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back