Weirdly appropriate USPS "gun" stamp

After fighting some intertia, I got around to re-upping my FFL. I used my normal method(s) of acquiring a USPS first-class stamp in this mostly digital age. Which is either:

a) Bumming one from a more organized female family or household member, or
b) When very desperate, driving to the post office and buying some all on my own (rare).

Method a) this time yielded a strangely appropriate stamp for mailing in a gun license form:

IMG-3580.jpg

b) When very desperate, driving to the post office and buying some all on my own (rare).

FYI... you can buy stamps on-line at the USPS website, and they'll mail them to you for one additional dollar.

A much better alternative than driving to the Post Office (with gas now at $3+ a gallon), having to step foot inside of a Post Office, and then having to deal with those wonderful people. When I buy stamps, which is once a year.... paying $1 extra for a book of 20 stamps delivered to me, is a bargain.

FYI... you can buy stamps on-line at the USPS website, and they'll mail them to you for one additional dollar.

A much better alternative than driving to the Post Office (with gas now at $3+ a gallon), having to step foot inside of a Post Office, and then having to deal with those wonderful people. When I buy stamps, which is once a year.... paying $1 extra for a book of 20 stamps delivered to me, is a bargain.
Look on E-Bay for the 'Forever Stamps'
You can get them for less then going rate / BUT I believe they charge Sales Tax.

The "Mighty Mo", very fitting.

16" rifles, 50 caliber, Mk. VII. Combined with SG radar, awesome. A ripple-fired turret could straddle a target on the first salvo at 20,000 yards (11 miles) by 1944. Ask the crew of the IJN Yamashiro how well that worked for them - albeit with 16/45's, not the same as the 16/50's as on the SoDak's or the lighter ones on the Iowa Class. I understand by the '80s they could do that same accuracy out to 20+ miles. My grandfather operated SC and SG radars in WWII in the Pacific, though not on any BBs as far as I know.

I saw it in the late '90s; it was moored in Bremerton, WA when my parents first moved to the general area. I've been to Pearl since then but not had the time to visit it again. I have been to the 16"/50 Mk. II's on the USS North Carolina - actually stronger guns than the Iowa class Mk VII's, not that popular history would let you know that. ;)

Arguably, the finest gas guns ever built, or will ever be built. Actually, probably not arguable - just a fact. ;)

Oh, I just remembered. I have a pic of a car of ours (and also weirdly coincidental, it's on ramps/jacks right now down by the garage getting its 4th timing belt!) next to some 16" MkII shells from a coastal artillery battery, back in 2014.

IMGP3710.JPG

Last edited:
It amazes me some/many states require a "license" to buy a gun.
Thats a cool stamp, wish we would get back to more national interest/pride, things like that.

I did that, years ago, and quit when one got lost in the mail. I went in to make a complaint/deal with the issue, but the effort wasn't worth, well, the effort. Oddly enough, I've never lived more than a few miles from a post office, usually I have one within a mile or two, and almost always on my commute.

Back