Weird oil question... where'd it go? (the oil)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1981 Ford 302 V8, w/ 96000 original miles.

Using dino oil, I can change the filter + oil, refill with 5 qt and its just a few cm's below the max fill line on the dipstick.

Using the same filter and 5 qt of synthetic oil, the oil is right on the max fill line. This is checking after about 100 miles of driving and letting the oil drain down into the pan overnite.

Why is there such a big difference?

Difference in the level of oil in the syns bottles,they gave you a little more oil or because of the price difference you let the syn drain out longer while filling.
rolleyes.gif

Just a guess.

The pertroleum oil was consumed. Some burn off of oil by the heat of the engine is normal. Pertro oil is more prone to this condition and it can vary between brands.

[ December 15, 2002, 04:59 PM: Message edited by: Mike ]

quote:

Originally posted by metroplex:

Using dino oil, I can change the filter + oil, refill with 5 qt and its just a few cm's below the max fill line on the dipstick.

A few cm's is a long way on a dipstick.
shocked.gif

Even NASA has a problem with the metric system from time to time.
blush.gif
I don't think they've lost too many satellites lately, so they are getting better.
grin.gif

metroplex

Take and turn that dipstick over and look at the back side when checking a 302's oil from about 80-88 models,I beleive you will note a difference.
I have always used the other side of the dipstick for this reason on three 302's I have owned

A centimeter is 1/100 of a meter. Now 2.54 cm equal an inch, and 25.4 mm equal an inch.

I suspect the oil level is a few mm, rather than cm on the stick.

I, like Dragboat, always check the oil line on the back of the oil stick and always hold the stick
pointed end down.

I've taken a 'green pad' and removed the oxide coating on the back side of a dip stick to improve reading the level with excellent results.

I think it's an oxide coating on dip sticks. Maybe not. Why are they black?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back