Weird Oil level question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everytime I change oil in my car I check the dipstick and it falls between the high and low points (hot engine)

Then I drain the oil and measure it. This time could only get 5.5q of oil out. I put 6.3 quarts and the dip stick read low lol..what???

The point is why was 5.5q showing up as middle of dip stick and then adding 6.5 quarts make it the equivalent ?

The oil filter was drained the 5.5q count and is a cartridge filter. Pretty dry upon removal.

Happens Everytime just trying to put my head around why?

Last edited:
I have a similar problem with an ecotec engine that uses a cartridge filter. The filter housing is relatively high on the engine and I think the oil galleries and the filter housing hold a lot of oil but only sometimes. Doesn't make any sense.

The only way I can get an accurate [repeatable] oil level check is to park the car overnight in the same spot and check in the morning. I suggest you try this.

My ford transit connect gives me fits with the oil level. If I pull the dipstick after it has set for a while and is cold it shows right at the low Mark. I clean off dipstick and reinsert and when I pull it again it always shows full. It's almost like there is a vacuum holding the oil up in the engine and when the dipstick is pulled it allows the oil to drain back to the oil pan. Idk.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dbias
My ford transit connect gives me fits with the oil level. If I pull the dipstick after it has set for a while and is cold it shows right at the low Mark. I clean off dipstick and reinsert and when I pull it again it always shows full. It's almost like there is a vacuum holding the oil up in the engine and when the dipstick is pulled it allows the oil to drain back to the oil pan. Idk.

There is an o-ring around the dipstick that fits tight in the tube, so air pressure prevents the oil from pushing up until the o-ring is released and oil can flow up.

I've found on my ex-2012 Equinox 2.4, and current RAM/Jeep 3.6's, you have to remove the cartridge oil filter first before draining the oil. The pointed end opens a check valve that allows extra oil to drain out. IDK...........

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
Witchcraft is the only thing i can think of.

Originally Posted By: dbias
My ford transit connect gives me fits with the oil level. If I pull the dipstick after it has set for a while and is cold it shows right at the low Mark. I clean off dipstick and reinsert and when I pull it again it always shows full.

I was always taught to remove the dipstick, wipe it off, re-insert it, and then remove it to read the level. Just checked the manual for my '08 G35 and it says the same thing. The manual for my wife's '14 Fusion says the same. Safe to say, when you remove the dipstick the first time, pay no attention to the oil level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back