weird noises - M1 5W-30 in Ford 4.6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's the tranny. My F150 does the same thing. I believe the Crown Vic has the same tranny, 4R70W or AODE. It has an open cooler line with no thermostat like the 4R100 used in the Lightning and some of the F-150's, 250's, etc... I'd let it warm up for a good two minutes before taking off. If I let mine warm up completely, it goes away.

John

Interesting!

My 4R70W does have a thermostat in the oil cooler line... but i think the temperature is just too low for the tranny fluid or something.

How long do you wait for it to warmup before leaving?

I find if I start to rev up the car faster on the road (give it more throttle) the sound goes away faster.

OK, don't call me stupid, but it could be this....radiator fan. Before you laugh, hear me out. On the Ford V8's, they use a hydraulic fan clutch set up and it makes a weird noise when it's cold. Sometimes the fan will speed up, slow down , speed up even at idle. Once you get moving, it goes away. Just a thought, take it for what it's worth.

Metro,

What is the code on your door panel for your tranny? If it is a U it is a 4R70W. if it is an E it is a 4R100. This topic has been discussed numerous times on f150online.com There are a couple of Tranny engineers who hang out int the tranny forum. One acutally builds custom valve bodies for the Lightning and now the 4R70W. They have all stated before that the 4R70W is an open cool line and the 4R100 is the only tranny with a thermostat to the cooler line.
Maybe this only applies to truck trannies though and the Crown Vic's are different.

John

There's no such thing as a 4.6/4R100 combo on a Crown Vic.

We have tranny oil coolers with thermostats at the cooler - I know this becuase I've seen it and the FSM says there's a t-stat.

The trucks have open lines w/ 4R70W trannies.

Metroplex,

Good to know. Knew there must be a difference between the car and the truck. Truck is probably open due to load hauling, towing, etc...

Another way they said you could tell if it's open or not, is to remove the outgoing line to the radiator and start the engine after it's completely cold. If there is a thermostat the fluid will not pump until it is warmed up and the thermostat opens. If it is an open system the fluid will flow immediately on startup.

John

quote:

Originally posted by metroplex:
The tranny has the factory fill Mercon-V (11k miles/almost 4 years)... I will be switching to Amsoil ATF soon.

Not exactly on the subject but is the AMSOIL ATF Merv V compatible? I thought I remembered seeing that it stated Mercon, not Mercon V?

Mikep

AFAIK there are only 2 full synth ATFs that meet/exceed Merc-V spec:

Redline D4
Amsoil ATF

Since i'm an Amsoil dealer, I can buy it from myself
grin.gif

Whenever it gets below 30F or so, I hear a weird noise in my 2000 Crown Vic.

I start the car and it idles rather quietly. However as soon as you shift into gear and start giving it throttle, you hear a noise that changes with the RPM (rising/decreasing)... and you hear it until you start getting on the throttle harder where it then gets drowned out somewhat.

Once the car is warmed up the sound disappears.

I'm not sure what the problem is, but its coming from the bottom end of the car.

Is it the tranny or engine or???

The tranny has the factory fill Mercon-V (11k miles/almost 4 years)... I will be switching to Amsoil ATF soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back