Weird noise from serpentine belt area

Status
Not open for further replies.
2013 Civic LX 1.8L 179k

Here lately I have noticed what sounds like a metallic rubbing noise coming from my serpentine belt area on the motor. It started out sounding like something was scraping on a pulley or what sounded like a bearing going out on a pulley and the sound is not in sync with the belt timing. This morning I started the car to go to the post office and noticed that the sound is more repetitive now than before, but just like before, the sound goes away once the car is at running temp which to me rules out a bearing and I can't find anything scraping. The car runs and drives just fine with no issues or CEL, but I know this is just a matter of time.

Edit: I forgot to mention above that I thought it was the compressor and the sound doesn't change or stop with using the a/c and heat.
Also, I had replaced the serpentine belt and belt tensioner less than a year ago and the current has approximately 25k on belt and tensioner.

Last edited:
Take a prybar or long screwdriver and start placing the end of it on each component in the area with the engine running. Place your ear against the other end of the "stethoscope" each time you move the device to a new component. When you hit the failing part, you'll hear it thru your makeshift stethoscope.

I'll have to wait till I can get to work and get a longer bar. The longest I have in my carport tool box is just a bit too short. I'll do some investigating and report back to what I find

Take the belt off and spin each part by hand to check for noise or roughness. You can also start up the engine with no belt, if you still hear the noise it is obviously something else.

Originally Posted by jbutch
I had a similar sound on my SX4, it was the water pump bearing crapping out.

And in my case it was an idler pulley.

Originally Posted by The_Nuke
Is Water Pump the original one that it came with? How many miles on it?

My money is on the WP...

It is the original and it has 179k on it. I made a make shift stethoscope with some wrenches and a screwdriver but did not hear the noise from the pump with it. I'm going to grab my real pry bar from my box at work for a better listen tomorrow.

Originally Posted by mk378
Take the belt off and spin each part by hand to check for noise or roughness. You can also start up the engine with no belt, if you still hear the noise it is obviously something else.

I will do this if the stethoscope trick doesn't produce.

Well I've found it to be the water pump and I have one on order from rock auto along with another thermostat and thermostat gasket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back