weird failure more of radial trailer tires, lots of wires sticking out (pictures)

it's a long story, but to make it short, i took my boat to a lake an 1hr of interstate driving away. tires are fairly new, 2.5 years old with a third boating season. low miles with tread like new. proper size and load rating. the tires were in great shape and properly inflated before the trip. no problems with this part of the trip and i drove at 60-65 mph. after retrieving the boat from the lake, after it got dark, and i had to take a few tries as the slip was weird with trailer crooked, i heard a rubbing sound and it looked like one of the tires was rubbing the plastic fender. after wasting some time trying to make more clearance (I thought the fender was distorted by boat not positioned correctly at the first try), i noticed wires sticking from tires on both sides. they were shorter at that time but then i realized the tires were shot.

i'll skip the details how we hot back home, unless someone is curious about it.

these are the daytime pictures after returning home (both tires are comparable):

PXL_20220915_173729538.jpg

PXL_20220915_173942930.jpg

After owning cars and a boat for a looong time, i haven't seen anything like that. but this is my first time with trailer radial tires.

My questions:

1. what caused both tires go bad at the same instance?
2. is this a bad idea to have radial trailer tires in the first place?
3. i noticed the tires were made in china. is this the new normal?
4. is it covered by warranty? I need to figure out first where i bought tires, i had them mounted. i liked the idea or radial at that time.
5. the replacement tires on wheels i bought at a nearby WMT just before they closed are also Chinese, but bias ply ones. are they going to fail soon too?
6. after i clip the sticking wires, can i use them as spares for short trips? I suspect the answer is no, LOL!

Thanks for reading!

I think it is number three (the new norm), I have gone through more trailer tires in the past three years than I did in the 30 earlier years. I think Chinese made trailer tires should be avoid at all costs. The warranty doesn't matter, you want a predictable trailer tire. Goodyear makes the ONLY trailer tire I will buy, and they make them in the USA.

it's a long story, but to make it short, i took my boat to a lake an 1hr of interstate driving away. tires are fairly new, 2.5 years old with a third boating season. low miles with tread like new. proper size and load rating. the tires were in great shape and properly inflated before the trip. no problems with this part of the trip and i drove at 60-65 mph. after retrieving the boat from the lake, after it got dark, and i had to take a few tries as the slip was weird with trailer crooked, i heard a rubbing sound and it looked like one of the tires was rubbing the plastic fender. after wasting some time trying to make more clearance (I thought the fender was distorted by boat not positioned correctly at the first try), i noticed wires sticking from tires on both sides. they were shorter at that time but then i realized the tires were shot.

these are the daytime pictures after returning home (both tires are comparable):

View attachment 117094
View attachment 117095

After owning cars and a boat for a looong time, i haven't seen anything like that. but this is my first time with trailer radial tires.

My questions:

4. is it covered by warranty? I need to figure out first where i bought tires, i had them mounted. i liked the idea or radial at that time.
5. the replacement tires on wheels i bought at a nearby WMT just before they closed are also Chinese, but bias ply ones. are they going to fail soon too?
6. after i clip the sticking wires, can i use them as spares for short trips? I suspect the answer is no, LOL!

Thanks for reading!
Hey, did you know your tires are trying to grow a beard? :unsure:

View attachment 117094
View attachment 117095

My questions:

Thanks for reading!
It's been said, many times and in many places, that Chinese-made products are often inferior. I'd not put such tires on any vehicle I owned, not because I'm any sort of tire expert, but because I've heard too many stories from disappointed users, so why take a chance on my safety? My comments surely won't help you now, but maybe this experience will influence future choices.

I've never seen anything like what's shown in the pictures.

If you can, grab your receipt and take the tires back to where you purchased them.

I just can't see these wires coming out of the tires like that. No cracking, no dry rot, there has to be more to this story.
And yeah, what happens when you pull on these wires?

Last edited:
I've never seen anything like that before and no idea how that could possibly happen

I've never seen anything like that before and no idea how that could possibly happen
Did a little search:

1663273193226.jpg

1663273280167.jpg

That's a failure of rubber adhesion to the wire in the steel belt. When that happens, the individual wires "snake" their way through the rubber and eventually come out. Kind of rare as rubber to steel adhesion is pretty straight forward.

But shel_b's photos are something different. Those are foreign material in the sidewall - specifically scrap wire has found its way into the sidewall rubber compound in the manufacturing process.

Back