weird failure more of radial trailer tires, lots of wires sticking out (pictures)

friendly_jacek

Is it a single axle trailer and did they go flat on you? It seems really unlikely 2 tires would go wacko simultaneously on their own. (not doubting you)

Seriously weird. What happens if you pull on a wire?

Hope Capriracer sees this one!
single axle. never deflated. they kept the nominal pressure of 50PSI despite wires sticking out. i cut the wires and didn't pull on them as i needed to drive to the place with replacement wheels. I can pull on them tomorrow.

friendly_jacek

I just can't see these wires coming out of the tires like that. No cracking, no dry rot, there has to be more to this story.
And yeah, what happens when you pull on these wires?
there is nothing more. the wires are from the tire. i clipped them before driving back and they grew longer since. i'll pull on them tomorrow just for fun of it.

friendly_jacek

That's a failure of rubber adhesion to the wire in the steel belt. When that happens, the individual wires "snake" their way through the rubber and eventually come out. Kind of rare as rubber to steel adhesion is pretty straight forward.
many thanks for the technical info from the guru. i'll google on that more...

many thanks for the technical info from the guru. i'll google on that more...
Here's what you need to do:

Call the manufacturer or the distributor. Tell them about the tires. They should direct you to a dealer. That dealer will need to talk to whoever you talked to and they should give you a credit towards the purchase of the replacement tires.

If you don't call first, the dealer might not know what to do and give you no credit.

And for those who want to know more about the failure:

Rubber doesn't bond well to steel. But copper does, and if the steel is electrocoated with brass or bronze, and some chemical enhancers are adding to the rubber that surrounds the steel, the bond is really good!

What usually happens in cases like this is that there isn't enough of that chemical enhancer, or there is poor disbursal, and the wires don't adhere - they are like floating in the rubber, and they will move when the tire is flexed. You should see what happens when there is NO chemical enhancer. The tire acts like the belt isn't even there and the tire tread really bulges. I've seen tires that didn't even make it out of the shop!