Weird experience returning oil at walmart

Status
Not open for further replies.
I brought 6 bottles of Phillips 66 trop artic 5w30 synblend to return. I didn't have the receipt. Well, they scanned one of the oil bottles first to see if they carried it in stock. It rang up. Then to my surprise, the girl opened one bottle and started to sniff the oil. I said, "why are you sniffing the oil?" she said, "I have to make sure every oil bottle returned is actually oil" I said, "look at the bottles not one of the tamper proof rings have been twisted off" she said, "the manager said I have to, I'm just doing what I'm told". She opened all six of them up. When it passed her sniff test, She gave me a refund of a whopping $8.78.
lol.gif

WOW! that's amazing! Do people return the oil with water in the bottle? That's just simply mind boggling to me. Sometimes, I'm lucky to just get the return checkout person to say "hi" much less have the #1 symptom of GC...sniffing the bottles.

Hmm ..I guess that they promote from within at that store (I know that didn't sound too nice -wince).

I will NOT buy oil that has broken seals on the cap. I guess they will have to use them in their Tire and Lube Express

There's a bbs where walmart employees grouse about customers. Think... walmart "stinks" dot com. One word.
grin.gif

People return Tide laundry detergent bottles full of... not tide. Management won't support the customer service desk people even though they see a lot of fraud. (I personally rarely notice a manager on the floor at all; they hide wherever.) A hard place to be in.
frown.gif

its not that people return oil bottles with water in them, its that they put their used oil back into the bottles and return them that way.

also, the tamper proof ring is quite easy to circumvent if you use a pocket knife or clothes pin or putty knife to "help" the ring follow the cap up and over the little ridge that normally holds the ring down.

This must be a Tennessee only, Walmart thing. I was passing through last year on vacation and had to return some underwear that were the wrong size. You wouldn't believe what the woman at return counter did!!!

quote:

Originally posted by ToyotaNSaturn:
WOW! that's amazing! Do people return the oil with water in the bottle? That's just simply mind boggling to me.

Speaking of Walmart.

I was just watching Larry the Cable Guy on Comedy TV. He said it's good thing those fat free potato chips come in cans because you'll need the can to crap in shortly after you eat them.

He also said to be sure and buy them at Walmart because you can take the can back for refund. When they ask you why you are returning them, tell them can's full of turds.

When I was buying some Mobil 1 7590 gear oil at AutoZone I noticed that one bottle in my cart had a different colored cap. I removed the cap and found the seal had been removed and replaced. The bottles with the different caps ALL had the seal intact. Told the store manager. I suspect someone bought they thought, Mobil 1 gear oil when it was a $1.99 gear oil or worse. I now check the seal under the screw caps AND the tamper proof caps on all the stuff I buy.

About 2 years ago, I bought a Coleman battery powered flourescent lantern at WalMart. The only problem was, when I got home, there was a flourescent lantern in the box, but it wasn't a Coleman. In fact, it did not remotely look like the Coleman lantern depicted on the packaging, but it did fit pretty well in the same box.

I suspect some person returned a "Coleman lantern" after doing a switcheroo. Somehow, I think the WalMart staff was also suspecting ME of doing a switcheroo.

If people will do that with small appliances that can be readily identified as not being the original product, I am sure that some will do it with liquid products such as motor oil.

quote:

Originally posted by doitmyself:
This must be a Tennessee only, Walmart thing. I was passing through last year on vacation and had to return some underwear that were the wrong size. You wouldn't believe what the woman at return counter did!!!

she sniffed your returned underwear?
freak2.gif

quote:

Originally posted by olympic:

Here's one to wrap your brain around: A guy walks into Walmart, buys 5 quarts of M1 EP and 5 quarts of 89 cent SA rated compressor oil. He dumps the M1 into his car, refills the containers with the SA oil and returns them. Then some poor soul buys them and runs them for 15k!
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
crushedcar.gif

I may consider buying my oil purchases besides walmart. walmart has great prices but I can't chance that happening. Another walmart story. I had a friend of a friend tell me that this guy bought a new VCR a few years ago and he put his old VCR in the box and returned it. Got a new VCR for free. The old one was broke. He bought the same brand too.

My brother bought a set of Kenwood 6x8 3-way car stereo speakers from Walmart. In the box were Lightning Audio 6x8 2-way speakers..there's about a $20 difference between them. He bought them for my birthday so I didn't worry about it (and they were going in the back of the car where a 3-way wouldn't make much difference), but the product switcheroo seems to be a common way to scam Wal-Mart (and their customers).

My guess is that some cheap, stealing jerk retuned oil bottles full of used oil and got a refund. There is stuff like that that goes on and you can't blame Walmrt for covering themselves. Blame the crooks, not Walmart. Imagine how mad you would be if you got home with 6 bottles of used oil that they had taken as a return?

its not that people return oil bottles with water in them, its that they put their used oil back into the bottles and return them that way.

also, the tamper proof ring is quite easy to circumvent if you use a pocket knife or clothes pin or putty knife to "help" the ring follow the cap up and over the little ridge that normally holds the ring down.[/QUOTE}

Got more tips?
wink.gif
tongue.gif

I had a similar experience trying to return an unused gas "can" I bought at the local ACE Hardware. I returned the can because I didn't like the nozzle setup.

I think every employee in the store sniffed that can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back