weird disclaimer on water heater anode

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finely it came in today. I could not buy it locally.
There is this label on it:

Quote:
WARNING: This product contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer, birth defects, or other
reproductive harm.

Not that I drink hot water, but what chemicals are they talking about? Lead and what else?
This is just a plain aluminum 42" electrode.

Just curious why you got aluminum, I prefer magnesium, but I think aluminium is ok for certain situations or if your water heater has two rods and they're aluminium and you're just replacing one of them. I wouldn't worry too much about it, CA is always doing weird things. There's a theory that aluminium causes Alzheimer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do have smelly water sometimes, although not lately. Magnesium would make it worse and would last shorter. I think the OEM electrode is aluminum too. I'll take some pictures when (and if) I remove the old one. I just purchased impact driver at HF, so I'm hopeful.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
pretty much everything we buy has that sticker on it.

And that warning (with "premises" replacing "product") must be posted next to the entrances of A LOT of businesses, including hotels. It's ridiculous!

You're not in CA, so you're safe.
grin.gif

I've also seen the Prop 65 warning on Cali purchased vehicles that were imported to Hawaii. Pretty entertaining when I read the warning that was on a sticker on the drivers side front door window. Saying the vehicles emits pollutants, used motor oil contains carcinogens, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Miller88
Everything causes cancer in California ...

True. The Prop 65 signs are ubiquitous. They fall into the eye noise, along with all the other gov't. stickers on the outside of a business. The first to appear were a big thing, but now that they are everywhere it's just a reminder gov't. is too big.

Here's a sign:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/wlf/2012/12/...-in-california/

"Attorneys walked away with 74% of Prop 65 settlement awards in 2011...."

Even a Prop 65 for coffee roasting:
http://wlflegalpulse.com/2012/10/10/prop...fee-litigation/

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
I do have smelly water sometimes, although not lately. Magnesium would make it worse and would last shorter. I think the OEM electrode is aluminum too. I'll take some pictures when (and if) I remove the old one. I just purchased impact driver at HF, so I'm hopeful.

Good luck. I think you might need something heavier than that. I used a 6 point socket with a 1/2 breaker bar that was 18 inches long. Didn't work on 4 water heaters. Had to add a 3 foot pipe to the end of that before they would move and also sprayed it down with Kroil.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359

Good luck. I think you might need something heavier than that. I used a 6 point socket with a 1/2 breaker bar that was 18 inches long. Didn't work on 4 water heaters. Had to add a 3 foot pipe to the end of that before they would move and also sprayed it down with Kroil.

No, the impact wrench from HF worked like a charm. It was turning the anode in a couple of seconds. I needed ear plugs though.

Previously I used breaker bar (and Kroil soak, too) and the whole water tank was moving. I was afraid to rip the water and gas lines.

Here is the old (15 years) anode next to new one. To be honest, I could have just cleaned and reused the old one. Water is near distilled water quality in my area. This helps.

IMG_20140823_090637_zpsc47c2237.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back