Weight of oil recommended outside U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have reliable guidance on the grade of oils recommended on newer cars outside the U.S.?

I read in another thread that 15w50 may be recommended for Toyota 2.2 engines.

Specifically, I'm looking for recommendations for the 3.0 V6 in 97-01 Toyota's.

Does anyone know what they recommend in Japan, South America, Australia or Africa??

For that particular engine, the NZ site would most likely recommend a 10w-30 or a 50wt. oil. The U.S. seems to be the only country that uses 30wt. and now 20wt. oils. I have always thought that putting a 40 or 50wt. oil in a small 4 banger is much to heavy. But when looking at the same engines in different countries you'll realize that it makes no difference other then a few HP and MPG.

Buster,

What is the "NZ site"?

Edit: I think I figured it out. Mobil NZ!

[ March 16, 2003, 12:07 PM: Message edited by: jjbula ]

For normal cars, these lighter wt. oils are perfectly fine with HT/HS's of 2.9 to 3.5. This a lso alows better mpg which is what we are more concerned with. Most americans won't keep a car past 150k miles anyway. The higher the wt of the oil the higher the ht/hs so it will have better proctection under extreme situations.

I like to browse through the oil recommendations from the European oil company ARAL. They have a web page that you can enter your vehicle make and model and it lists all the recommended fluids and capacities for the vehicle. You can find it at aral-lubricants.com . Click on "automotive lubricants" and then on "Oil Guide".

It's geared mainly to Euro cars but there are some listing for the US market also. I must admit that there aren't any 5W-20's on there.

seems to me that most of these sites that ask whats best for my car from other countries have a very limited year database... Nothing much newer than an 81-85 that would be seen on our roads...

JMH

I'm still waiting for proof that these thicker oils equal better engine protection though.

Where are all the oil analysis results on these 50wt oils? We've only seen a small handful. One was very good, on 10w50 Castrol, but we've also seen a few dozen great reports posted here with 30wt oils too, and even some with 20wt oils.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
I'm still waiting for proof that these thicker oils equal better engine protection though.

Where are all the oil analysis results on these 50wt oils? We've only seen a small handful. One was very good, on 10w50 Castrol, but we've also seen a few dozen great reports posted here with 30wt oils too, and even some with 20wt oils.

Patman,

I'm thinking of using 10w40 in my Camry V6. Maybe I'll test and compare to the w30's. Even if a dino shears to high 30 weight, I'll still benefit.

quote:

Originally posted by Ken2:
BP (parent company of Castrol) lubricants in the U.K.
BP U.K.

BP lubricants in Australia:
BP Australia

Valvoline in Australia:
Valvoline Australia

Ken

Thanks Ken!!

For the Camry V6 97-01 FE engine:

Valvoline Australia says 15w40
BP UK says 0w40 or 5w40
BP Australia says Visco 3000???

Me thinks the hot Alabama summer should be 10w40 or 15w40 and winter 0w40 or 5w40.

quote:

Originally posted by jjbula:

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

Patman,

I'm thinking of using 10w40 in my Camry V6. Maybe I'll test and compare to the w30's. Even if a dino shears to high 30 weight, I'll still benefit.

Not necessarily though. I'd rather use a well made 10w30 which starts at 12cst and stays there, then to use a 10w40 which starts at 14 but shears back to 12 and then leaves sludge behind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back