Weight of a Snubbie

I have an S@W Airweight and a Stainless 649 both 5 shots. There is quite a difference in felt recoil between the two. For me shooting a +p 38 special in the all Stainless 649 is not that bad and the same load in the Airweight is @#$% that is sharp. Unless there is a problem with your hand you won't be shooting the snubbie for fun just for close up work , that I guess in why old people when I was a kid , used to call them belly guns the hottest loads aren't needed. The Airweight disappears in my person weight wise.

Last edited:
Lighter is easier to carry, but worse to shoot. I had the LCR in 38, traded for 357, did not care for the bump in weight—but it was much nicer to shoot.

How much do you plan to practice?

12 oz is pretty light! Where on your body do you carry?

My M&P 40 full size I carry sometimes and it weighs 24 oz empty..

I don't have any revolvers but that weight intrigued me

Why carry a revolver these days.
Simpler manual of arms.
Don't have to learn to clear jams.
No magazine to accidentally drop.
No safety to forget to disengage or accidentally engage.
Easy to see when loaded or not.
Safer long heavy trigger.
Shrouded hammer models can be fired from the pocket.

I have been looking at a Charter Arms, they are 12oz and 16 oz. Will I be able to tell carry weight and recoil difference? Thank you
please do yourself a favor and consider a taurus 85 or 856 38sp snubbie revolver. taurus revolvers are much better than charter arms for about the same price. i briefly had a c.a. and it was rough in the hand, to the point of blood and blisters by 50 range rounds.

i have a steel taurus 85 and alloy s&w 642. i prefer the former as an overall one and done 38sp revolver. the 85’s heavier weight makes it a more comfortable shooter so practice isn’t a painful chore, but it still okay as a ccw. i shoot wadcutter ammo exclusively in the 642, which makes its recoil tolerable. the 642 is lighter and thus easier as a ccw but it wouldn’t be my only revolver.

Simpler manual of arms.
Don't have to learn to clear jams.
No magazine to accidentally drop.
No safety to forget to disengage or accidentally engage.
Easy to see when loaded or not.
Safer long heavy trigger.
Shrouded hammer models can be fired from the pocket.
All definitely true but a good higher end handgun can mitigate a lot of the issues but have twice the capacity at the end of the day which is more valuable than people truly think in a situation. A fine quality gun with fine quality mags and ammo will be as reliable as joes 99 tacoma but have a great trigger and a well designed and thought out layout so nothing is accidental. A dual action/single action is good here. A compact Sig sp 2022, Hk p30, 2000 or even the USP come to mind. I'd get the sig sp since it's not too expensive but a fine gun thats pretty light to carry and not bulky in size either with twice the capacity of a revolver.

I'm semi carrying a taurus g3c now since i got it from a friend who bought it under msrp at $259 and didn't want it anymore so he sold it to me for only $200 flat after a hundred rounds of use and just had to scratch the itch to get another gun. Trigger is surprisingly good but it aint an HK or sig. I've fired both from friends and they're some nice nice guns. One of these days I'm gonna buy a USP once i justify dropping over a grand on another handgun i don't need.

If you happen to reload your own cartridges, . 38 Special can be loaded down to sub-mousefart loads with cast wadcutters. It's still noticeable, but easily tolerable for a generous amount of practice without straining the alloy frame.

I load 2.0 grains of W231 over a 148 grain cast wadcutter - and it's very easy to manage out of a S&W M37. Out of a S&W M66, it feels like a .22

I have a Smith 340SC .357 mag. It weighs 11 ounces. I also have a Smith 642 and it weighs 15 ounces. I carry every day of the year and have for over 20 years. I specifically bought the 340SC because of it’s lightweight and ease of carry. Yes 4 ounces makes a difference. Especially if you carry 12 hours per shift as a police officer like I did. I paid a hefty price to lose those 4 ounces. The 340SC with laser grip was over $1000, while the 642 was a $350 gun.

I’d avoid charter arms and look at Ruger, Smith, or the Taurus 856. With the Taurus you get an extra round too.

I am curious of the difference between the 340 PD and the 340 SC.

The 340 PD, I have been familiar with for years, is the lightest 357 magnum revolver available, pretty much. (I like light weight powerful guns.)

I did a little bit of searching, but, I could not find a definitive answer.

Most sites that I went to said that they were pretty much the same, with possibly having a difference in front sight.

I am curious of the difference between the 340 PD and the 340 SC.

The 340 PD, I have been familiar with for years, is the lightest 357 magnum revolver available, pretty much. (I like light weight powerful guns.)

I did a little bit of searching, but, I could not find a definitive answer.

Most sites that I went to said that they were pretty much the same, with possibly having a difference in front sight.
See the 3rd post in the link below.

All definitely true but a good higher end handgun can mitigate a lot of the issues but have twice the capacity at the end of the day which is more valuable than people truly think in a situation. A fine quality gun with fine quality mags and ammo will be as reliable as joes 99 tacoma but have a great trigger and a well designed and thought out layout so nothing is accidental. A dual action/single action is good here. A compact Sig sp 2022, Hk p30, 2000 or even the USP come to mind. I'd get the sig sp since it's not too expensive but a fine gun thats pretty light to carry and not bulky in size either with twice the capacity of a revolver.

I'm semi carrying a taurus g3c now since i got it from a friend who bought it under msrp at $259 and didn't want it anymore so he sold it to me for only $200 flat after a hundred rounds of use and just had to scratch the itch to get another gun. Trigger is surprisingly good but it aint an HK or sig. I've fired both from friends and they're some nice nice guns. One of these days I'm gonna buy a USP once i justify dropping over a grand on another handgun i don't need.

That's all true. It all comes down to which features best suit the person carrying it. My wife carries a j-frame revolver because she resists practicing shooting and struggles with a can opener. I believe for most concealed carriers the advantages of a semi-auto are moot and they are in fact much safer carrying a revolver.

Back