Weight new vs used filter

Just did my 1st oil change on my Volt after 2 years and the weight of used filter was 369grams vs 300 new after draining used filter for about an hour on the bench. So, can I assume the filer is clogged with 69g of particulates? Is this about normal? Yes, I know 2 years is long but I only drove the ICE maybe 900 miles in that time. It runs mostly in EV mode. Oil looked basically new on the dipstick but brownish color in the drain container.

Just did my 1st oil change on my Volt after 2 years and the weight of used filter was 369grams vs 300 new after draining used filter for about an hour on the bench. So, can I assume the filer is clogged with 69g of particulates? Is this about normal? Yes, I know 2 years is long but I only drove the ICE maybe 900 miles in that time. It runs mostly in EV mode. Oil looked basically new on the dipstick but brownish color in the drain container.

No. Most of the weight will be from liquid in saturated filter material

No. Most of the weight will be from liquid in saturated filter material
This. Only way to "measure" it would be to pour clean oil into the filter till full before use, then turn it upside down to drain out for a specific amount of time (say a week), then weigh it.
Once done with the filter, let it sit upside down for the same time frame, and that would give you an approximate comparison.

This. Only way to "measure" it would be to pour clean oil into the filter till full before use, then turn it upside down to drain out for a specific amount of time (say a week), then weigh it.
Once done with the filter, let it sit upside down for the same time frame, and that would give you an approximate comparison.
Or a better way would to completely fill the new oil filter with the oil you use, and take a starting measurement. Then after the filter is used, drain it as much as possible, then fill it up again with the same oil to the same exact level, then weigh it again. The difference in weight would be as close as you could get to determine the amount of trapped debris.

Actually the way you’d do it is through a solvent wash of the filter material.

Definitely NOT. If you had 69g of particulates in the OF post use, I'd suggest, if your engine not toast, then not far from it. Also it would be in permanent bypass. As noted, that weight comes from oil left in filter and/or oil soaked media after removal. Even if you drained it first with several inlet holes held open, it wouldn't give an accurate result of particulates caught/trapped.

You may want to read linked post about filter 'holding capacity' posted by member Jim Allen many years ago. Basically he said: "the average filter in the average car at the average OCI/FCI is less than 50% loaded when removed. Doesn't apply to everyone, of course, but if you have your inputs under control (mainly a good air filter) then you should fit at or below that average...."

I keep my used filters in a pail with a grid in the bottom. Most of the oil pours out in the first few seconds. The filter material remains saturated and messy. I find It never totally drains. The filter media keeps much of it in suspension. Also, some folks think there’s all sorts of crap inside filters. In a well maintained car there is hardly anything.

Last edited:
Back