Weekend Trip To Cavallino, Palm Beach. Cost, 1 Million Dollars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dr. Haas, what is YOUR specialty? My wife's halfway thru residency but I'm sure if she sees what her earning potential could be, she'd switch!
grin.gif

LOL, just kidding. She exhibited great talant in her surgery rotations but didn't want the stress. Just don't say you're in derm and I won't cry.
pat.gif

Nice car.

Plastic and reconstructive surgery. It helps that my wife is an optometrist and that we have no offspring. Also, we almost never travel except for short weekend trips and then only on occasion. We are homebodies. Our hobbies are arts and crafts, gardening, occasional golf, walking, oh and cars.

aehaas

Seems like you need some high-end furniture, cabinetry delivered to that home of yours. Just kidding, not!
tongue.gif

Daily Drives:
-2003 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner,2.7 liter, 4 cylinder, Mobil1 5w30 ODO 24600
-1995 Toyota 4-Runner,3.0 liter,6 cylinder, Mobil1 5w40 tsuv ODO 103100
http://community.webshots.com/user/amkeer

quote:

Plastic and reconstructive surgery. It helps that my wife is an optometrist

Ah, I see. Yeah, you guys tend to do good for yourselves! No kids is a plus as well if you want to amass money. LOL, we drive 48 miles per day just to drop off and pick up ours from daycare! We're homebodies, too but not by choice!

quote:

Originally posted by AEHaas:
Yes but I am not using that oil and the dealership is gracious enough to give me a half dozen oil filters knowing that I will be changing the oil ad nauseam.

What brand filters do they use? Hopefully not Fram. I've seen a lot of photos of vintage Ferraris and they always seem to have big orange Fram filters on the engines.

I saw a guy driving around Houston the other day in some brand-new-looking Ferrari convertible. I don't know which model it was, but it looked horribly expensive. That same day I also saw someone driving one of those mega high dollar Rolls Royce mack-daddy cars (Vanquish?).

I remember thinking, what a bunch of idiots! Who in their right mind would drive cars like that in Houston, during peak traffic hours no less!

And then I thought, I bet they are running Fram oil filters and that Quaker State Slick 50 garbage oil in their rides. I got a good laugh out of that.
smile.gif

Just thought I'd share...
smile.gif

Gee, must be nice. I sweat at the thought of spending $50,000 on a nice vehicle.
Another house? Forget it. I'd like 2-3 acres in the country but it will never happen. Can't afford it.
Maybe this will be the year I get my old hot rodded truck on the road, after 10 years of trying.
But, I'm happy for those who can have the million dollar house, and a Ferrari or Lambo, or that kind of car. I'll be happy with my old hot rod, my MF35 tractor, Aviator, and Taurus.

I love Ferrari and all but, are they worth the price? Can you have as much fun in a 80,000 Viper or a 80,000 Porsche 911? Just wondering.

Dr. Haas. Sorry to threadjack your Ferrari, but since you own this beauty, can you tell me if you know of any top-notch paint/body shops in the LA area?

Love the car - yellow is sweet.

Scott

quote:

Originally posted by ScottB:
Dr. Haas. Sorry to threadjack your Ferrari, but since you own this beauty, can you tell me if you know of any top-notch paint/body shops in the LA area?

Love the car - yellow is sweet.

Scott

He lives in Florida. He bought the car in Florida. What makes you think he would know about body shops in LA?
confused.gif

A.E.Haas wrote: "It helps that my wife is an optometrist and that we have no offspring."

I write: The important thing is that you practice....

quote:

Originally posted by AEHaas:
Insurance is based on accident history costs. In general I would pay maybe $2,000 a year to insure a $20,000 Camero but only $1,500 for a $330,000 Maybach. The car is not the cost of the insurance but rather the hospital bills for those inside.

The cost of a Camero is insignificant to the medical costs of 3 people inside when a drunk driver hits a pole.

Less people ruin Ferrari cars. When they do there is nothing left of the driver or car so costs from the insurer are relatively minimal.

A quote from my major US insurer today was $2,500/year for the $1,000,000 Enzo.

aehaas

I assume the $2500 doesn't include collision or comprehensive, unless it's with about a $500,000 deductible!

Anyway, congrats on a beautiful car, and I enjoy your posts.

quote:

Originally posted by Pontius Pilate:
you get sweet discounts too for being a doctor or having a Phd, being a scientist, etc...

I'm sure there are discounts. But that doesn't obviate the risk of an uninsured or underinsured driver blowing a stop sign and T-boning you. Damage to a Ferrari could easily be into 6 figures I imagine, and most people don't carry that much property damage insurance. You could always sue, but can't get blood out of a stone either.

I personally carry 100K PD on my policy. A lot of folks only have 25K PD. All it takes is one at fault accident with a couple of beemers, jags, etc. (or one Ferrari) involved and you can hit even the 100K limit pretty quick. If it were me, I'd carry collision so I could at least get my car fixed in a timely fashion, even if I'm not at fault.

A lot of folks just worry about the Bodily Injury coverage, which is the most important IMO. But can't overlook the property damage component either.

I have to believe that insuring a one million dollar vehicle for $2500/yr comes with a whole lot of strings; i.e. it ain't your garden variety auto policy. And Florida is a relatively high cost state (don't ask why), at least compared to other southern states.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back