Weekend getaway / cabin rental in IL/WI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any recommendations within about 3 hrs drive from Chicago area?

Something with a lake, in a secluded area would be nice.

I found something that looked really nice in Galena, IL, but they seem to be booked up for the next several weekends...

Any specific ones you can recommend? I don't want anything very touristy with a lot of people around.

Last year we went to Black's Cliff Resort in WI. It was great, but too far for just a weekend trip.

Last edited:
Anything in Giant City State park? If you like wineries, there are about a dozen near by.

oilBabe and I toured them a couple of months ago. We really are not lake folks, so this wouldn't satisfy your lake preference.

We stayed in a B&B in Anna, IL, the old school was converted to a B&B.

I know, different from what you requested. Probably too far from Chicago land as well.

Dubuque-across the river from Galena is nice. Just to the south are some caves and close enough to Galena to spend time in the shops. Visit the Mississippi River Museum and take the drive up to Balltown (very scenic).

To the north-Lansing Iowa is beautiful. Several B&B's, some right on the river. Not much in the way of lakes, but there are plenty of Mississippi backwaters that are secluded. Just a short drive from there is Spring Green Wisconsin-you'll want to see the House on the Rock if you're in that area. The entire area has some great scenery.

JoDaviess County has a couple. Mississippi Palisades, Apple River Canyon, and the Devils Lake area in WI has a lot.
Tough to get seclusion with 7 million of your closest friends so nearby. Starved Rock near Ottawa has really nice cabins and a lodge, but can be like Gatlinburg on holiday weekends.

Bellevue, IA is another nice little riverfront town near the Dubuque/Galena area with a nubmer of small B&B's.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Any recommendations within about 3 hrs drive from Chicago area?

Something with a lake, in a secluded area would be nice.

Does the lake have to be very deep? Should the soil in the area be soft?
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: moribundman
Does the lake have to be very deep? Should the soil in the area be soft?
LOL.gif

LOL.gif
Yes, and large flesh-eating fish in the lake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back