Weedwacker advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would avoid any MTD product (Bolens, newer Craftsman, Troy-Bilt, Cub Cadet, Yard Machines, Remington and Yard-Man are the big names) if you are looking for serviceability and serious longevity. I have worked on some and been to some of MTD's sales booths at training I had at work. They are really throwaway pieces of equipment.

You'd be spending a slightly higher amount just getting an Echo SRM-225, which is a homeowner unit you can pick up for +/- $200. You can either buy one good trimmer. or go through 4 crappy trimmers in the same time frame. They are a much better built unit, cheap and easy to repair/service. Go to an actual equipment dealer (Stihl, Echo, etc) and you will be able to ask and converse with people who know what they are talking about. Get a gallon can of TruFuel and forget about it!

Stihl makes a lot of great products, but I find there to be some lack of quality in some of their homeowner trimmers. The FS 70 is something to consider.

Originally Posted by supton
I went with the Ryobi, seemed mid range and "felt good". RY253SS, and their Expand-It brush cutter and pole saw. We'll see how long it lasts. The Echo felt good but I didn't think it was that much better. Plus the Ryobi was green--that got an automatic spousal approval, and sometimes that's all that matters. Also got the Echo CS 310, the 14" chainsaw--that I thought was better than the 14" Ryobi, plus a friend of mine really likes his. This weekend the woods are mine!

The CS 310 is a nice smaller saw to have around the house. I strongly suggest using an ethanol-free premix if you use less than a gal or two per year.

Yeah, I dislike paying $20 a gallon, but I figure if all I go through is a gallon or two a year, then it's really not that expensive in the scheme of things. I bought a couple of the smaller cans of gas as it'll be easier to pour.

Finally got around to using both. So far I've managed to get each one stuck (pinched), thankfully the other was free to fix the problem. First time I used the CS 310 I thought it was a bit puny, then realized I was sawing through a 12" diam tree--it's going to slow down. Both seem to be working fine, no complaints so far (but it's only been an hour!). Haven't used a chainsaw in 25 years but it's just like falling off a bike. Had chaps given to me years ago, did give in and buy a helmet with hearing protection and the face mask.

I've yet to figure out the chain tightness, it always feels too tight to me, which is probably just right--when I ran a saw years ago, I'm pretty sure I ran it on the loose side of things. Then again, I never read the manual back then either.

Hey, it's no MS660, take it easy!!!
lol.gif

Jokes aside, I sometimes have to "recommend down" some guys who come into my work looking to buy a lot more saw than they need... with some exceptions, most residential homeowners can run a 14" saw fine and it'll do what they need. Good luck and have fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back