Wedding present for my sister and her husband

Status
Not open for further replies.
My sister recently got married and soon after turned 27. She drives a 1995 Honda Accord Lx. This car has 158K and is still in good shape, so I thought I'd replace her broken CD player, broken antenna mast (car wash mishap) and repair her AC with a new AC compressor (universal AC $150 new on ebay) new evaporator and dryer/accumulator.

I found this car for her 6 years ago with 94K. The original owner had done all the maintenance by the book with the Honda dealer.(timing belt service at 90K) Since her purchase my father has done 5k dino oil changes with quaker state and a (yikes) fram oil filter, but NO other maintenance.

After I wired the new radio and installed the antenna mast I noted that the auto trans shifted ok but downshifted a little hard from 2nd to 1st. After much reading I bought 8 quarts of Honda Z1 ATF and did 3 fluid exchanges, and what a difference! The tranny now shifts like new!

Replaced one filthy disgusting air filter with a new one. Chevron with techron fuel system cleaner added to 10 gallons of fuel. Noted that the valve cover was leaking badly. Bought a new oem valve cover kit with spark plug guide seals for my friend to install. I couldnt stop here! Bought new NGK G power plugs, a puralator fuel filter, a puralator PCV valve and new distributor cap and rotor (no new plug wires) Had my friend start on the work and ending up buying new power steering belt and A/C---Alternator belt to replace frayed ones. While I was buying the belts I picked up 5 quarts of Mobil clean 5000 and a puralator classic for 13 bucks to get that stupid fram off the car. My friend installed all of this and adjusted those engine valves too! As my present had ballooned into a much larger cost than I anticipated I got my father to buy some geniune honda coolant, a new thermostat and new radiator cap so we could flush the radiator (its an aftermarket one though, better than the plastic oem honda, the one thing that my father did on the car besides oil changes)For good measure my freind cleaned the throttle body too.

What a difference! This car runs like it has 50K on the clock now! Hopefully the cheap AC compressor will hold up, but so far with PAG 46 oil and "ultra synthetic" artic cool R134A it blows ice cold.

By the way, when my friend had the valve cover opened he said that there was NO sludge or varnish----5K dino changes have paid off! Just wish I could have taken a picture of the valve train for everyone here.

And by the way, good friends are priceless. $200 for the labor!

What do you guys think?

She's going to complaint when something unrelated breaks and will blame you for it since her car never had issues till you offered to "fix" it. But hey thats how it all usually works out. *runs*

well hopefully not. The car runs like a top. My friend who did the work has been a mechanic for 30 years and after checking out the car thinks it is in great shape.

You did good. But you rarely get credit for disasters averted. Whomever gave her the china set will be remembered for years.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
You did good. But you rarely get credit for disasters averted. Whomever gave her the china set will be remembered for years.

+1

When I read the title I had visions of a case on oil sitting on the wedding table .......hahahaha !!!

Good on ya , you saved then a lot of money and grief fixing all that . Had they had a shop do it they would have spent a lot .

Wow, you are a great brother. That was a lot of work. Hope she appreciates all of that. If she decides to keep that Honda for a long time you will hopefully be recognized at the reason why.

Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
Wow, you are a great brother. That was a lot of work. Hope she appreciates all of that. If she decides to keep that Honda for a long time you will hopefully be recognized at the reason why.

Couldn't have said it better!
thumbsup2.gif

Let her husband know all the things you did to the car. Surely he has had to pay someone at one point to repair a car. He would be appreciative. Your sister probably has no idea about the significance of the stuff you did. No offense to her. It's just how most women are with mechanical stuff.

Hey, every month they drive that car it's saving them a couple hundred dollar car payment so it's a gift that keeps on giving and probably pays for itself in a couple months.

I wouldn't be as worried as others here about something breaking and taking blame. It's not a Land Rover. At 17 years a manufacturing defect probably would've come up by now. Probably wear items until you junk it. You seemed to cover most of those. At least in my experience that's how it goes.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Let her husband know all the things you did to the car. Surely he has had to pay someone at one point to repair a car. He would be appreciative. Your sister probably has no idea about the significance of the stuff you did. No offense to her. It's just how most women are with mechanical stuff.

This can get politically hairy with intra-family politics. However, let him know he's always welcome at your garage for some bro-bonding.

hey guys the cap and rotor i used were intermotor. The car seems to run fine but after looking at honda message boards I see all over the place to always stick with the oem cap and rotor. What do you think about intermotor cap and rotor on a honda?

I am not familiar with Hondas, BUT I hear stuff all the time about only use OEM stuff on cars that I have. I usually cheap out and get whatever one of the auto stores has here on sale and it always works just fine.

Can you check if the Intermotor is actually one of the Hitachi or Tec part? Look for Made In Japan on the replacement part. If so, then don't worry about it.

- Vikas

You are a great brother. I can tell you from experiance that haveing a loving sibling is a wonderful experiance. Remember it is the thought from your heart that counts and you get an A+ for that.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Can you check if the Intermotor is actually one of the Hitachi or Tec part? Look for Made In Japan on the replacement part. If so, then don't worry about it.

- Vikas

I read so many bad things about using non honda oem ignition parts that I just bought the oem honda cap and rotor for $64. The car probably needs new spark plug wires as well but ive got to draw the line somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back