Webasto no longer manufactures aftermarket sunroofs

They exited the aftermarket business last year.

Webasto supplies factory sunroofs, and they were the only aftermarket sunroof manufacturer to also be an OEM. In fact, their aftermarket offerings all started out as a factory sunroof on some car. For example, the old Hollandia 524 Grandview might have been the factory panoramic sunroof on the Opel/Saturn Astra.

There are a lot of cars I like that aren't available with a factory sunroof, so Webasto was the answer, but not anymore

I had an Espar gasoline fueled heater in the trunk of my 1985 Olds 88 coupe. Now days with the very low fuel consumption of most modern DI small engines there is less of a demand for them in normal everyday passenger vehicles. The 2.4L NA DI 4 banger in my 2016 Honda CR-V is a good example of how fuel stingy engines are now days, at 1/4 of a U.S. gallons per hour at idle once it is warmed up. The Espar was not much better than that, and it was additional weight to carry around, took up some space, and required maintnce. Now if I want heat in the winter for any length of time when not moving, I just let it idle.

It would no surprise me if Webasto stops selling there fuel fired heaters also. But there may be enough other applications of them to still make it worth there while.

I don't know how much of a market there really is for aftermarket sunroofs, certainly a niche market. I know some mechanics loathe aftermarket sunroofs so maybe Webasto made the right call.
It was something we looked into sometime back. We were interested in a specific model Subaru wagon, probably a lower end mt version that couldn’t be had in the way we wanted. The aftermarket roof was an option, but pricy and concerned us about the long term sealing and leaking.

So we passed like most folks...

The original metal hand crank sunroof on my 1980 MB 200D was OE Webasto, very high quality OE body steel and well made. Fit and finish were perfect and never leaked.
Almost all OE and aftermarket standheizung units are Webasto. When I am in Germany I get them from the bone yard for about $150-200 complete in nice shape, I buy them this way so I can take pics as I remove it and get every nut bolt and screw, way better than trying to retro fit a more universal unit. The one I got for my beetle has an app for the iphone.

A lot of sunroof haters on here :D :alien: :unsure:

ASC is a major, "Cough Cough" OE sunroof manufacture and installer. My 2002 Chevy truck has one, they install sunroofs on many vehicle makes. Personally I have never heard of Webasto as an OE sunroof manufacture/Installer.
ASC went out of business a few years ago

Webasto is more a thing on european cars

Webasto supplies factory sunroofs to almost every car company.

I despise sunroofs. Car manufacturers automatically add them to packages as you go up the product line. In other words, if I want certain options on a car, I get stuck with a sunroof. 😡
Speaking of option packages, I'll take a sunroof over a useless sound system or bluetooth that every car maker seem to force people to buy on higher end models.

I hate sunroofs so much.

Keep the big piece of glass but glue the thing in there.

Webasto heaters, on the other hand... Yes please.

Sadly, there are quite a few fixed glass sunroofs out there, such as the C-Max, Outlander Sport, Mustang, Transit Connect, and some other cars

All things people hate about sunroofs, the fear of the hole in the roof, are still there with a fixed sunroof, all the disadvantages, but without the advantages of one that actually opens :rolleyes: :unsure:

I honestly didn't know about the Webasto heaters being so popular, or anything about them at all 🤖

I despise sunroofs. Car manufacturers automatically add them to packages as you go up the product line. In other words, if I want certain options on a car, I get stuck with a sunroof. 😡
But I like all the options. I don't even do regular sunroofs anymore, just the panoramara sunroof, even bigger and the rear seat passengers get to enjoy it too. They can make noise though. Had to drop the headliner on one to tighten the bolts but now it's nice and quiet.
All things people hate about sunroofs, the fear of the hole in the roof, are still there with a fixed sunroof, all the disadvantages, but without the advantages of one that actually opens :rolleyes: :unsure:
I've had sunroof/panorama on my cars for the last 20+ years. They never leaked.

Keep the big piece of glass but glue the thing in there.

this

While I love the glass (except for its excessive weight) and sunshine, the clunking noise of the Mini Cooper panoramic sunroof is driving me crazy. Or should I say moonroof? I really really wish it was just glued in. Had this on a Fiat 500 rental while in Italy. No noises of course. Needless to say my dealer isn't able to fix it. No clue if the unit was made by Webasto, Edscha or whoever was the cheapest bidder btw..

Most Americans would love to see virtually any option available separately as common in Europe, however they would certainly dislike European new car prices. More complexity, more effort, more expense. I am glad I was able to order options separately on both the Cooper and the GTI, in particular since this implicates I was able to pass on them.

It would no surprise me if Webasto stops selling there fuel fired heaters also. But there may be enough other applications of them to still make it worth there while.
A lot of large trucks with sleeper cabs use Webasto diesel-fired heaters. My brother in law installed a gasoline Webasto in his camper van and it'll run you out of there in 10 minutes.

Back