Wear and fuel economy results for selected SF through SN oils: PCMO3 engine test

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's very likely to be some sort of friction apparatus.

Nevertheless, the conclusions I summarized are interesting.

However, I'm still not 100% sure that lower wear index means less wear. There is a chance that I am looking at the results upside down. Lol.

Originally Posted by 1JZ_E46
Gokhan, you list the PCMO3 test results and your opinions interchangeably.

I don't think I presented much opinion other than summarizing the results.

Not a real strong correlation between friction and wear in this test data.

Friction vs Wear.JPG

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Not a real strong correlation between friction and wear in this test data.

Thanks for the plot.

Yes, usually there is no correlation between the friction and wear.

However, when they gradually increased the organic friction modifier (OFM) content in M1 5W-30 SN, both the friction and wear uniformly decreased significantly. Therefore, the OFM is a win - win.

I called Tribology Testing Labs.

The staff was friendly.

They verified that the lower wear index meant less wear.

The apparatus they used was SRV.

They used actual parts with actual geometries from real engines, such as rings, liners, and cams.

I wonder why no Pennzoil/SOPUS oils were tested? Maybe M1 helped finance this test and didn't want to post the results? Seems every Mobil oil made is on there...

Originally Posted by Gokhan
I called Tribology Testing Labs.

The staff was friendly.

They verified that the lower wear index meant less wear.

The apparatus they used was SRV.

They used actual parts with actual geometries from real engines, such as rings, liners, and cams.

Thanks for calling them. I usually try and go direct when in doubt. Years ago I called Redline and spoke with Roy Howell about elevated Pb levels found in UOA's. I've spoken with Mobil engineers as well. It's tough getting past the gatekeepers, but sometimes you can and they can be very helpful with specific questions within reason. As most know so much of the information is proprietary.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back