We Might Be Good as GOLD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just did a translation on the color of SLX LongTec from a Safety Data Sheet that Patman sent me...it is....are your ready....are you SURE?...amber yellow, which without much of a stretch, could be described as GOLD, that gorgeous color so effectively captured by "The Stinker" (Stinky P, don't kill me for that, it was just too good a name not to use). In and of itself that is not "a lock," but when you add the similarities between the VOA that Quattro Pete did on SLX LongTec AND the one on Gold GC that Stinky Peterson did, well the "coincidence" is getting awfully strong. Folks if that is what we are getting, then we are getting an oil with the following:

l SAE 0W-30 l GM-LL-A-025, GM-LL-B-025
l API SL/CF l VW 503 01
l ACEA A3/B3/B4 l VW 502 00
l MB 229.3, 229.5 l VW 505 00

Viskosität bei 100°C mm²/s 12,2
Viskosität bei 40°C mm²/s 72
Viskositätsindex 1 167
CCS bei -35°C mPas 5800

As I have told you all before...I'm buying!

Hehe, we posted two similar threads at the same time!

cheers.gif

Wir sind wie zwei Erbsen in einer Hülse. (We are like two peas in a pod.)

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:
Folks if that is what we are getting, then we are getting an oil with the following:

l SAE 0W-30 l GM-LL-A-025, GM-LL-B-025
l API SL/CF l VW 503 01
l ACEA A3/B3/B4 l VW 502 00
l MB 229.3, 229.5 l VW 505 00

Viskosität bei 100°C mm²/s 12,2
Viskosität bei 40°C mm²/s 72
Viskositätsindex 1 167
CCS bei -35°C mPas 5800

As I have told you all before...I'm buying!

This may be moot to ask, but would this also meet/exceed BMW LL-01 spec as well?

Isn't that exactly what I told you about three weeks ago?
smile.gif
The only question was if the HT/HS was below 3.5 Cp or above 3.5 Cp....The kinematic vis of 12.2 Cst @ 100C verfies the latter.

It makes perfect sense, since those are all the same specs the Mobil 1, 0w-40 and the Amsoil 5w-40 meet. Any ACEA, A3/B4 rated, "Euro" synthetic is going to have to meet these specs or it wouldn't be marketable....

This oil should also meet the BMW "LL-01" specification if I'm not mistaken.

Expect to see the price of this oil go up by about $1.25/quart if and when the Mobil 1, Extended Performance oil is successful. The TBN will be bumped up to 12.0 and this will be Castrols 15,000 mile/1 year oil. This ones a no brainer even for the marketing "geniuses" at Castrol. Mark my words on this - it will happen!

TS

[ April 05, 2005, 02:47 PM: Message edited by: TooSlick ]

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

quote:

Wir sind wie zwei Erbsen in einer Hülse. (We are like two peas in a pod.)

We are the two Ps allright! Paul and Pat!
smile.gif

You are quicker than me!
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
Isn't that exactly what I told you about three weeks ago?
smile.gif
The only question was if the HT/HS was below 3.5 Cp or above 3.5 Cp....The kinematic vis of 12.2 Cst @ 100C verfies the latter.

It makes perfect sense, since those are all the same specs the Mobil 1, 0w-40 and the Amsoil 5w-40 meet. Any ACEA, A3/B4 rated, "Euro" synthetic is going to have to meet these specs or it wouldn't be marketable....

This oil should also meet the BMW "LL-01" specification if I'm not mistaken.

Expect to see the price of this oil go up by about $1.25/quart if and when the Mobil 1, Extended Performance oil is successful. The TBN will be bumped up to 12.0 and this will be Castrols 15,000 mile/1 year oil. This ones a no brainer even for the marketing "geniuses" at Castrol. Mark my words on this - it will happen!

TS

TS,

Driving an Audi has made you bright beyond your years!
cool.gif

Ok, I know this is a dumb question
gr_eek2.gif
, but, GC meets such and such Euro specs, so, what is the difference between Euro and American specs? And consiquently, what does that mean to my GM and Ford engines (both take 5w-30). I know from a viscosity standpoint I'm good, I just was curious as to how the specs differed, and would an oil that met said Euro specs meet any and all American specs. I've already built up a small stash waiting to go in, so at this point there's no turning back.....
burnout.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Stinky Peterson:

quote:

... "The Stinker" (Stinky P, don't kill me for that, it was just too good a name not to use)...

Das ist der Stinkenheimer
smile.gif

Javold, mein herr, you got it! Sie sind ewig Der Stinkenheimer!
Lang lebend der Stinkenheimer!
cheers.gif

[ April 05, 2005, 09:00 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

quote:

Originally posted by bighead:
Ok, I know this is a dumb question
gr_eek2.gif
, but, GC meets such and such Euro specs, so, what is the difference between Euro and American specs? And consiquently, what does that mean to my GM and Ford engines (both take 5w-30). I know from a viscosity standpoint I'm good, I just was curious as to how the specs differed, and would an oil that met said Euro specs meet any and all American specs. I've already built up a small stash waiting to go in, so at this point there's no turning back.....
burnout.gif

Well, ACEA A3 lubricates well, stays in grade, and won't "burn up" on you. And it has to be on the high side of 30 weight or above.
API SL lubricates well, might stay in grade, and resists "burning up" on you, but not the same way an A3 oil does.
API SM lubricates well, might stay in grade, and resists "burning up" on you, but not the same way an A3 oil does. Also, it has less of certain additives that may screw up your catalytic converter.

The below link has some tables that will either shed some light on this issue, or make you more confused, depending on how far along you are in learning about lubrication.
http://www.infineum.com/information/tables.html

Well why don't we do a little experiment? I'll provide a sample gun, tubing, and the oil analysis to take samples at 1000 hour intervals for say maybe 10,000 miles. We need someone to provide the car, the oil, and to take samples. They should be willing to go beyond 5000 miles on a change and they need to be able to follow a procedure to collect the samples the same way each time. Ideally their driving should be consistent such as someone with a long commute everyday and the vehicle shouldn't use any oil. If anyone is interested send me a note and a proposal outlining what you would like to do.

Stinky

Stinky,
Would this experiment be using only M0502xxxxx & later GC only? My VW 1.8T would be perfect for the experiment. I'm running '03 GC now. I do an 80 mile round-trip freeway commute each day. My VW uses no oil between changes.

I would be perfectly willing to be the guinea pig for this test, except for the fact that I can't go out & buy 5 quarts of '05 GC right now. I have too much oil in my strategic reserve & the powers that be won't allocate any more oil funds at present.

If the BITOGers want to donate the oil & you will provide the necessary equipment, I will do the test on my VW 1.8T. Let me know.

quote:

Originally posted by bighead:
TomJones76, thanks for the link. Unfortunately, I'm still in the learning process, so a spec sheet is like reading Chinese
lol.gif
but I appreciate it though.

Welcome!
Don't feel bad. I've probably got about 400 hours of study devoted to this subject. Which... thinking about it... is kind of silly, given that I work in bank computing security. I guess that's what makes it a hobby, rather than a job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back