We are WAY too anal on Push Mowers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SnakeOil
I don't know about you guys but I've never had a mower flat out die on me from wear.

I'll hit a root and bend the shaft. I'll watch the mower deck rot out. It will get stolen. It will fall out the back of my truck because my brother is a moron. Ect...

I've been buying and continue to buy newer model used mowers from pawn shops. Usually $40-$60 for a really nice machine.

I almost feel like I could run non detergent 30 weight for infinite intervals because something will happen before it wears out.

How bout' you guys.

I'm guessing it would be better than the factory fill many people have in their (still running) 15 year old B&S mowers!

Does physics take into account the direct correlation of engine revolutions to coolant and oil flow?

[/quote]

Yes, newtonian physics will account for all of that and anything else you can think of unless it is on a quantum level

Originally Posted By: law3500
I just changed the oil in my walk behind yesterday to 0w-30 German Castrol with a little Lubro Moly MoS2, so I would say yes we are a little to anal about our mowers...:)

If your using 0w-30 German Castrol with a little Lubro Moly MoS2 in your push mower you are a more than just a little anal.
grin2.gif

I just changed the oil in my walk behind yesterday to 0w-30 German Castrol with a little Lubro Moly MoS2, so I would say yes we are a little to anal about our mowers...:)

And yet tomorrow your mower blows up...while the next guy who neglects his lasts 30 years.

Mine uses Amsoil Small Engine 10W30/30W.

Stop the madness, they are just push mowers with a slinger.....but I still use Rotella synthetic.....just in case
happy2.gif

Originally Posted By: Cmarti
Stop the madness, they are just push mowers with a slinger.....but I still use Rotella synthetic.....just in case
happy2.gif

It's my baby... I can't use some plain old oil and leave it in there for 30 years like my Pah does...
LOL.gif

We're an anal bunch aren't we?

Blah, mine just gets house brand SAE 30. I change it once a year, and it starts on one pull every time even after sitting all winter.

Originally Posted By: lexus114
My new Toro is actually quieter on the Pennzoil HD-30,than on GC??

Good to hear. I'll be using PZ HD30 as well.

I'm on my 3rd season of a freebie Lawnboy 7072. It runs fine and starts 1st pull. I use it as a trimmer. The sit down is a battered 77 IH Cadet 80, likewise free.It took a little TLC to get sorted, but it runs fine on its re- engined B+S 11 horse engine. I have been dosing the fuel with MMO and run the carbs dry before putting them away. Since I started using MMO, I havent had to tear down the carbs every spring. I use 10w30 oil in the Briggs. I check it before starting. and change it every spring.

Originally Posted By: ARB1977

And yet tomorrow your mower blows up...while the next guy who neglects his lasts 30 years.

Mine uses Amsoil Small Engine 10W30/30W.

I use some left over Amsoil TSO series 2000, 0wx30 It's about six years old and hesitant about using it in car/truck.

Originally Posted By: Cmarti
happy2.gif

Speak for yourself! I've got an oil pump and a spin on (automotive style) oil filter in my John Deere JX-75 walk behind. It's a kawasaki FJ180V engine I believe.

I'm running Esso XD-3 full PAO synthetic 0w-30 HDEO.

I like Johnny's approach. My hope is that I'll give it to my son in law and it will outlive his retirement.

My only daughter is 2 years old, so I'm a little fussy about maintenance too.

I built the mower engine that I use now out of parts with my grandfather. He taught me how to work on small engines and I intend to use this one for the rest of my life. I think I have enough spare parts on hand to make sure that happens. Of course, the Ship of Theseus paradox will eventually have to be considered: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_of_Theseus

Sometimes, I don't think there's such a thing as 'too anal.'

I love my LawnBoy too. 14 years old on a 5hp commercial engine. Aluminum deck, runs like a top. Has always seen MX2T, until this summer. Currently using 2oz of MX2T, and 2oz of castor for the mix. No real change to the mower, but I'm enjoying mowing more from the smell.. :)

My Dad has my Grandmother's old Lawnboy and I think it is about 50 years old now.

Andy

Our 20 year old Toro is still doing a killer job. 2008 was the first year the oil was changed. Just used to top up with 10W30. Now i change it with Pennzoil HD30. 1 Litre lasts 2 years. Starts on first pull in spring with oil change and fresh gas.

I destroy lawnmowers,never bought a new one...just pick up an old one for free or cheap and proceed to run it into the ground.

This year I wrecked my Rancher,a locally made 18in with a steel body and 3.75 B&S.I swapped it for some scrap metal,it was in the load on the back of the scrappies truck....a new blade and repair on the front axle and it was ready for use.I hit a paving slab and a bit of ducting that holds on the front axle caught in the blade,ripping it off and sending it out the back,blowing off the rear axle.By the way it stopped I suspect a sheared key or a bent crank.

So I pulled out my old Victa 550 Professional,this is a 21in self propelled 2 stroke that is used by commercial operators.Mine is an old heap I've had for years,I used it to break in this over grown section 5 years ago,then just used the Rancher.So out it came again,the drive mechanism was stuffed,so I took it out and welded in a solid axle,so then a push mower.It appears the headgasket was leaking,but running well.I was mowing 2 sections now....pushing it up the road to do my daughters place.While doing the thick stuff up there it seized - running lean with the leaking headgasket.Can't be bothered fixing that,so out it goes.

Next I found a Bolens electric I've had for over 10 years but never used....with no running mowers,no time like the present.I was staggered by how well the electric mower goes! Doesn't even notice stuff that had even the grunty Victa struggling....it's so light,quiet and does a good job.I sheared the blade off that one - but an easy fix,and I'm keeping it for the light summer lawns.

So time for another discarded mower for the fleet. I found a 19in Bolens with 5hp B&S....and front wheel drive.Actually I got two,one for spares.I don't like it - it's huge! What's with these Americans that they have to make everything so oversized? It's far bigger than the 21in Victa,and heavier too.So big it's not much fun around my small 800sm section.But the 5hp engine just idles around my thick lawn,the engine should last longer than the body anyway.

Using Gulf Western Top Dog 15/40 in this one.

Originally Posted By: Johnny

If your using 0w-30 German Castrol with a little Lubro Moly MoS2 in your push mower you are a more than just a little anal.
grin2.gif

Is it the G.C or is it the Lubro Moly that croses the line?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back