"We are really, really sorry"

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124458192890699487.html

Quote:
In 1969, baby boomers took podiums at college graduations around the country and pledged to redefine the world in their image.

Forty years later, they have, and now they are apologizing for it. Their collective advice for the class of 2009: Don't be like us.

Way to go! Thanks for the bill! I'll be working until I'm 100 years old. Awesome!

there is plenty of blame to go around, such as what were they rebelling against, who runs it, etc.
of course they had good intentions, but no one suspected the
WHOLE GAME is rigged.

40 years of the 'L' word have brought us to where we are.

Politicians spoke of 'civil rights' without mentioning 'civil responsibilities'.

JFK said "Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" and ever since people have looked for ENTITLEMENTS.

Most of the 60's crowd became hyper materialistic as they aged (the former President and his wife immediately come to mind).

When G*D was taken out of schools people lost their moral compass.

Social Security was a good idea but our politicians spent
the money (buying votes) and now its broke.

Unfortunately, I'm not very optimistic about Americas future.

The number one issue going forward, which has yet to be addressed, as the so called entitlement programs.

They've been mismanaged and are now a disaster.

And some want to give the government more power.

What's amazing is the mindset that there are guarantees..that these programs could be guaranteed.

"Guaranteed via what foundation"? people should've asked.

Fundamentally there are no guranteed guarantees...in any system devised by man.

Originally Posted By: es350
Whom cares...I LOVE reading the comments..best part!!!!!

I love the comments. Hilarious.

" The biggest failure of the baby boomers is that the majority of their generation still live in the past."

Amen! That's what many of us have been saying when it comes to war. Everything from them is viewed through the lens of Vietnam. That was in the past. They like to live there.

It's 2009. Get with the program.

Originally Posted By: pbm

40 years of the 'L' word have brought us to where we are.

Politicians spoke of 'civil rights' without mentioning 'civil responsibilities'.

JFK said "Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" and ever since people have looked for ENTITLEMENTS.

Most of the 60's crowd became hyper materialistic as they aged (the former President and his wife immediately come to mind).

Social Security was a good idea but our politicians spent
the money (buying votes) and now its broke.

Unfortunately, I'm not very optimistic about Americas future.

+1

Originally Posted By: pbm

Yep, it was a real utopia before that happened. Everyone was considered equal and nobody would even consider harming their fellow man for the sake of personal gain. Those were the good old days.

Apologizing does nothing. What they should have said was, "Let us help you fix this thing so that you can feel comfortable giving your children a safe place to be born and grow." What kills me is these people were the ones who always talked about doing things "for the children" as if it was their children. The fact is, it's going to be their [great]grandchildren who really grow up with the consequences of their actions. Those are the children of my genration (I'm 24). When this thing really hits the fan, most of the baby boomers will be long retired or dead.

No offense to anybody of that generation, but this is something I feel very strongly about.

Originally Posted By: Neil Howe
You think about what an apology does, it allows you to maintain the moral high ground.
55.gif
An interesting article, Douglas. The comments are delicious!
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: sprintman
Moral compass? Biggest wank I've read here for a long time. Some people.........

+1
El Oh El. I haven't laughed so hard at a comment in awhile.

Was discussing this with my Parents the other weekend.

The Baby Boomers had free higher education and then when in positions of Authority imposed "user pays" education.
They had non-contributory, defined benefits superannuation, then when in positions of authority changed them to user pays.
They enjoyed free healthcare, then imposed medicare levies and user pays.
They are the ones raising the Oz retirement age to 67, while enjoying their defined benefits at 58.
They are the ones who coined the phrase "spending my kid's inheritence", while generally getting substantial inheritences themselves.

And not only have they spent their children's inheritence, they've soent their children and grandchildren's future prosperity.

I had a teacher who was a graduate from PENN. He was a CO (conscientious objector). He was in the Peace Core ..smoked weed ..went to Woodstock ..all the usual things ..politically opposed to the Vietnam War. His parents were higher upper middle class.

He became the head of Penn's IRT (institute of research and training) in creating curriculum for the next couple of decades ..a think tank.

He then got a career as an higher level analyst for the CIA.

Funny how some things turn out.

Originally Posted By: sprintman
Moral compass? Biggest wank I've read here for a long time. Some people.........

You are right since one doesn't have to be religious to have high morals but America has become far more immoral than it used to be. Cheating is widely accepted (look how many politicians haven't paid their income taxes)
Selfishness is the norm. Greed is out of control. 13 year olds having sex. Anything goes with the 'me' generation.
I think it's safe to say we've lost our way morally and ethically.

PS: I'm not religious but I believe I'm a good person.

pbm- no behaviors have changed here. The USA has only lost its illusions of morality. We've lost our social inhibitions and now hang our dirty laundry out for all to see. We just don't put on the airs that we once did.

If you want to look at "socially moral" nations, go look at Saudi Arabia or any of the Islamic republics. There they have all the same corruptions that all peoples everywhere have, but have strict codes of moral conduct.

Essentially, if you get caught, you're punished for bringing the matter to light.

Remember, it was not unlawful to beat your wife at one time. You didn't discuss someone's drinking problem in the family ..etc...etc.

Now I would say that we've devolved into a society that has no clue of what resembles "good conduct". That parents have to teach on their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back