WBAL TV Baltimore: Speed cameras to start enforcement in I-95 work zone.

They can also alter the signal timing (not just shortening the yellow time) so that drivers hit as many red lights as possible, under the theory that the more red lights a driver hits, the more likely it is that they'll run one of them.

And signal maintenance is also an issue.

A couple of years ago, I was waiting to make a left turn at a signal that I make a left turn at every day. The signal went through two entire cycles and never gave me a green light to make my left turn.

Obviously a bad detector. I called VDOT to report the problem.

You might think that they would consider this a priority and fix it quickly.

Not VDOT. Despite me calling them at least 4 times to report the problem, it took them over a month to fix it, and I made a left turn against a red light every day while it was broken.

Imagine if that signal had a red light camera?

EDIT: And another example of Virginia-style signal maintenance. Back in the early to mid 2000s, I read a newspaper article about someone vandalizing a traffic signal. They broke into the cabinet and cut every wire inside.

The police chief of the city or town (can't remember which one it is and I can't find the article online, think it was either Warrenton or Culpeper) said, "Yea. You could sit at that light for 20 minutes and it wouldn't change".

So let me get this straight. The locality KNOWS the traffic signal is broken, since the police chief knows it's broken and presumably would have told the public works department, assuming that they didn't already know, and they did NOTHING to fix it until someone get fed up enough to vandalize the traffic signal wiring??

Never change, Virginia. Never change. Just like your broken traffic signals you can't be bothered to fix.
In my state the law says they cannot shorten the timing. How to prove it? I think I read about some guy that spent hours timing them and made a stink and won from somewhere in the USA.

After having issues with "the system", I don't trust the process. I think they probably do reduce crashes significantly (data shows it and me driving the same route every day and rarely seeing a crash vs monthly detours due to crashes before install) but if they're going to suspend a license for an unpaid traffic ticket they need to serve the papers better than plain old unreliable mail.

BTW - why or how would you contest a fine if there is a picture of the vehicle that you own the vehicle committing a violation? No different than you parked at an expired parking meter.
If parked at an expired parking meter there is a human witness (a parking enforcement officer) who can testify that they actually witnessed your vehicle parked in a specific place at a specific time and the meter had expired. That witness can be confronted and questioned in court if you believe the ticket was improper and decide to challenge it. (I've done this, and successfully.)

The issue is if say one were to receive an automated ticket and the camera is the only evidence that a crime was committed, who is the witness that actually saw the event take place? Who can be confronted and questioned in court as guaranteed by the 6th Amendment in that case? Perhaps subpoena the CEO of the camera manufacturer and the company's development team for questioning?

If parked at an expired parking meter there is a human witness (a parking enforcement officer) who can testify that they actually witnessed your vehicle parked in a specific place at a specific time and the meter had expired. That witness can be confronted and questioned in court if you believe the ticket was improper and decide to challenge it. (I've done this, and successfully.)

The issue is if say one were to receive an automated ticket and the camera is the only evidence that a crime was committed, who is the witness that actually saw the event take place? Who can be confronted and questioned in court as guaranteed by the 6th Amendment in that case? Perhaps subpoena the CEO of the camera manufacturer and the company's development team for questioning?
Good point but think you are going too deeply or not deep enough.

You are being fined as your vehicle is photographed going through a red light and as we learned some states actually photograph the driver too.
You can fight the fine, that is your right, the method you choose to do so is up to you.

Driving a vehicle is not a right, it is a privilege, the rules to use the public roadways are established and run by the agencies that, we the people put in charge to do so. The public decides you will be subject to red light or speeding cameras if driving on public roads. You will be fined and you do have the right to fight the fine.

Driving a vehicle is not a right, it is a privilege, the rules to use the public roadways are established and run by the agencies that, we the people put in charge to do so. The public decides you will be subject to red light or speeding cameras if driving on public roads. You will be fined and you do have the right to fight the fine.

Irrelevant. The federal constitution sets limits on what "we the people" and the states can decide to do. "We the people" have no right to deny anyone the right to confront the witnesses against them in court. This is enshrined in the 6th Amendment, which is the supreme law of the land and superior to any agency. So, I ask once again: in the case of automated law enforcement who is the witness you have the right to question in court?

As far as court decisions and legislative policies, those vary by state. Some have rejected camera-based enforcement as not constitutional, or at least not desirable, and some have rubber-stamped the practice. It would most likely take a federal Supreme Court decision to settle the issue nationwide.

"In Missouri, the state’s Supreme Court ruled in 2015 that red-light and speed cameras were unconstitutional. Other state laws explicitly prohibit automated enforcement. Maine, Mississippi, New Hampshire, South Carolina, Texas and West Virginia prohibit both red-light cameras and speed cameras. Montana and South Dakota prohibit red-light cameras, and New Jersey and Wisconsin do not allow speed cameras."

Studies show they tend to reduce t-bone style accidents, which are more dangerous, but increase rear end collisions.
This is according to our city's data. They installed them at the highest accident rate intersections. And accidents are rare now. Rear ends or otherwise. But I'll tell ya what, light turns yellow and I'm on the brakes at these intersections.

This is not done in NY, you don't state where you are
In NY the camera ticket is the responsibility of the registered owner, doesn't matter who was driving. If the registered owner was not driving, they can ask the person driving to pay. It wouldn't surprise me if that is the way the law is written in other states.

Should be pointed out that the city (Manassas, VA) going crazy with red light cameras still has a bunch of intersections with the "yellow trap" that they have never fixed.

But it's all about safety, right?
I live in manassas, and I see those new cameras go off ALL the time… especially the one on 28 and manassas drive right by the shell station.

When I was a judge in traffic court, I let it be known that I would never find a driver guilty of a driving offense if the only proof was a photograph. If the Commonwealth didn't have a human being to call as a witness the verdict would always be Not Guilty.

Great idea. I've seen too many drivers speeding through work zones and putting workers in danger.
Yes...the "Work zones" that start a mile before any actual construction, end 2 miles after the end of the construction, and are in place a year before any work is done, and six months after the project is finished.

When I was a judge in traffic court, I let it be known that I would never find a driver guilty of a driving offense if the only proof was a photograph. If the Commonwealth didn't have a human being to call as a witness the verdict would always be Not Guilty.
As it should be.

Back