WBAL TV Baltimore: Speed cameras to start enforcement in I-95 work zone.

In the majority of cities if everyone drove the speed limit traffic would stop completely.

These camera's are illegal in SC as well. However somehow the counties have come up with unique speed traps that will catch anyone who isn't familiar with the territory - like the road getting more open and wider but there is a 10mph speed drop with one sign behind a tree. The primary reason I use a radar detector. If it goes off in a strange place, its probably a speed trap.

Yes, that is nothing new.
Last time I was in Maryland (9 or 10 years ago) almost every work zone on 95 had a white van with a camera.
At least, they were pretty liberal with the warning signage.

They've been using those in the construction zone on I-70 in Hagerstown, MD since it started. Drove past there the other day doing the speed limit in the right lane. Just as soon as I passed it some jackwagon from WV was closing in on me in the left lane quick when I seen the flash of the camera. Hope to Hell it didn't think it was me speeding!

Up to 1 year in a jail and/or up to a $2500 fine. Class 1 misdemeanor.

The sentence is up to the judge's discretion.

FYI, failing to signal for a turn in Virginia is reckless driving.
Holy crap, Virginia just went up a few notches in the books. Old Virginiaaaaaaaaaa

Stuff like this isn’t popular in the free state of Tennessee.

It’s been tried. Then we realized that it was all about the money.

Red light cams were installed about 20 years ago in my home town of Germantown, and then we figured out that the yellow lights had been deliberately, artificially, shortened in order to ticket more people, and generate more revenue for the municipality and for the camera company.

The cams are still there, and they still cite people, but there is no enforcement (if you get the ticket in the mail and don’t pay it, nothing will happen to you).

It's very popular in Virginia. The law allows up to 10 red light cameras per city, and places like Manassas Virginia are installing all 10.
I’m very aware, having done some sportbike riding up there (SW VA area around Galax/Mouth of Wilson/Damascus area).

Cant really comment further on their situation up there, as it would get outside the board rules.

I don’t exactly drive the speed limit but with that said I don’t understand the opposition to enforcing the law, be it red light cameras or speeding cameras.
If the vehicle is breaking the law it gets fined.
If the people don’t like the law then it should be taken off the books so I don’t understand the opposition to cameras.
It’s an enforcement technique if people are against them they are against enforcing the laws in their states.
It’s kind of like let’s have a lore but don’t catch me breaking it.

In the UK, we have average speed cameras in work sections. The speed limit is usually 50mph (instead of our usual 70mph) and we are timed at the start and end of the work section. Should you exceed the limit you'll have a letter through the door!

I don’t exactly drive the speed limit but with that said I don’t understand the opposition to enforcing the law, be it red light cameras or speeding cameras.

The problem comes when a city with an incompetent moron in charge of the traffic signals decides to install red light cameras. VDOT actually has regulations requiring that the traffic signal be checked for proper operation and appropriate signal timing before a red light camera is installed, but like most things in Virginia, what the regulations require and what actually happens can be two different things.

What about the right of a person accused of a crime to confront the witnesses against him or her in open court, as guaranteed by the 6th Amendment in the U.S.? No problem if pulled over by the police and ticketed, but a speed camera??

If the vehicle is breaking the law it gets fined.
If the people don’t like the law then it should be taken off the books so I don’t understand the opposition to cameras.
It’s an enforcement technique if people are against them they are against enforcing the laws in their states.
It’s kind of like let’s have a lore but don’t catch me breaking it.
Cameras have a history of being abused, I’m not against enforcement but I am against automated enforcement.

Cameras have a history of being abused, I’m not against enforcement but I am against automated enforcement.
Welcome to the future, NYC is one example, speed cameras and red light cameras everywhere. Its a huge help protecting children in school zones.
I do understand peoples feelings surveillance is everywhere, I am not in anyway a slow driver but I just make sure I dont get caught, other than that, if I ever do I know I am breaking the law and good with it.
I guess the bottom line is "the people" vote for this stuff.
(BTW, there are some dishonest people in every profession, including tickets by a small number of officers or mistakes by them)

Last edited:
Back