WBAL TV Baltimore: Speed cameras to start enforcement in I-95 work zone.

Makes me wonder if those tinted license plate covers will help with speed cameras. Regardless, those should be a fixit / pullover tickets.

They need it right there. I live in the general are and I know there are Multiple accidents there every week. People who drive it regularly are concerned about the crazies who go through there with no regard to the construction.

That's nothing new around here where speed cameras are as common as stop lights. If the speed limit is 35 mph, there is a 12 mph leeway before it takes a picture, yet traffic slows down to 25 mph. Brilliant.

I am not a fan of cameras for speed enforcement. But if there is anywhere that they should be used, I would think construction zones is it. Put up plenty of signs, warning people in advance so there should be no surprises. That way the cameras should actually slow down traffic.

Great idea. I've seen too many drivers speeding through work zones and putting workers in danger.
I’m much less worried by speed than I would be of distracted drivers. One can drive 10-15 over the limit without being a douche; however even a distracted driver can kill people below the limit.

Allowing things like this will only result in further erosion of rights in myriad other areas. How long til the entire highways go to continuous monitoring with ticket-by-mail?

I’m much less worried by speed than I would be of distracted drivers. One can drive 10-15 over the limit without being a douche; however even a distracted driver can kill people below the limit.

Allowing things like this will only result in further erosion of rights in myriad other areas. How long til the entire highways go to continuous monitoring with ticket-by-mail?
It's not just the driver we need to be concerned about. There are workers and machinery that can, in any number of ways, contribute to an accident. Slowing down allows the drivers more time to react.

You have no "right" to drive, it's a privilege. If those who speed in construction zones, drive too fast for conditions, fail to signal, tailgate, make illegal moves such as cutting across lanes of traffic to exit, pass on the right or on the shoulder, were to cut out that inconsiderate and unsafe driving, there's be far less need to monitor the drivers and traffic. As far as I'm concerned, there are far too few citations given for driving offenses

Drive along the Montana highways and observe the many crosses alongside the road, each representing a death in an auto accident. If monitoring drivers and the threat of a citation saves some lives and property damage, that's a good thing.

As someone who works regularly in our construction zones, bring it on.

Everyone gets drivers training. Follow the speed limit. Then we post advisory speeds or lower the speed limit, post signs noting the change in speed limit, post signs about extra fines, extra consequences for tickets in work zones, etc... and it still feels like its open street racing out there... Had a presentation given where we monitored speeds in one of our work zones with a 55 mph speed limit (normal non-construction is 70 in this area), and still had speeds over 80 by over 20 percentile points of drivers. And basically had an accident a day out there...

Its the equivalent of setting up a worksite, and having active participants in it essentially ignore safety requirements.

So again, bring it on. And yes, I am that guy who slows down to the posted speed limit in a work zone and has a line a mile long tailgating me... Happened again this morning (in another country even) - part of why they were using pilot trucks in a few of the one lane sections....

Nothing new. Theyve used these along the entire I-95 for years.

You know where they are because there’s a pulloff and port-a-potty. You know when it’s working because there’s a vehicle parked.

Not a fan of them but some people drive like crazy.

My bad, guys; maybe what I was saying didn’t come across clearly. There are already plenty of laws dictating an overwhelming majority of what we “can” and “can’t” do. We don’t need to turn a blind eye to ever more state surveillance of every aspect of our lives in order to “catch” work zone speeders in the name of “if it saves just one life”. It’s so hypocritical I nearly wet my pants laughing every time I hear a professional liar say that with a straight face. I won’t say any more there so that this isn’t turned into politics.

Enforce existing law with regular enforcement techniques, I’m fine with that; 100% onboard. But, actually hold people accountable for their actions that harm others; that’s supposed to be the central tenet of our justice system. I don’t want any motorists nor highway workers to be injured or killed, but death happens for all of us.

I can tell you this: when the day comes that “the Universe” has decided is my last on this planet, nothing will stop it from happening, and nothing will hasten it before that day. Puts things in perspective for me at least. ✌🏻

As someone who works regularly in our construction zones, bring it on.

Everyone gets drivers training. Follow the speed limit. Then we post advisory speeds or lower the speed limit, post signs noting the change in speed limit, post signs about extra fines, extra consequences for tickets in work zones, etc... and it still feels like its open street racing out there... Had a presentation given where we monitored speeds in one of our work zones with a 55 mph speed limit (normal non-construction is 70 in this area), and still had speeds over 80 by over 20 percentile points of drivers. And basically had an accident a day out there...

Its the equivalent of setting up a worksite, and having active participants in it essentially ignore safety requirements.

So again, bring it on. And yes, I am that guy who slows down to the posted speed limit in a work zone and has a line a mile long tailgating me... Happened again this morning (in another country even) - part of why they were using pilot trucks in a few of the one lane sections....

While I agree with you to a point here... And I definitely agree that people should and must follow the lowered speed limits. I do... I don't play around in school zones and work zones... I do drive kinda fast here and there but it's typically when I'm all by myself and in one spot where I'm all by myself and there's concrete walls on both sides of me in a single one way only lane... On ramp to the interstate in that case. Which I have to slow down to 55 to take that left hand corner at the base of that hill. Then I enter the interstate at 60 mph.

I really wonder if the magic cameras in this case will stop anyone from high end excessive speeding ??

I wonder.. .

Those going that fast will not pay enough attention to even think about it. And... I'd bet good money those tickets in the mail will be thrown away too.

And my experience on interstate 695 around Baltimore... I'd bet those cats won't pay no mind to anything... Cameras included.

I know this is 95 in this case but same overall group of champions... In that area.

Arguably needed more in school zones.

Agree ^^^^

I was in court in Gloucester county back in 2008 and this lady was driving 64 moh in a 35 mph school zone with the lights on in northern Gloucester. My friend state trooper George Thomas was the one who had pulled her over. Judge Long asked George if the lights were on and operating correctly. He said yes they were. Judge Long asked if the lady was polite and cooperative. And George said yes she had been.

Well Judge Long reduced a reckless driving ticket in a school zone to regular speeding aka 44 mph in a 35 mph school zone. . Then the dumb ass lady started and kept on arguing... With the judge and the state police officer... Me and the people sitting in my row of seats were all like "shut the heck up and be happy and get the heck out of here".

Finally Judge Long had had enough and rather sternly told that dumb lady, " you need to go right now and go pay the clerk, I already cut you a big break on that ticket and have a nice day".

Which was true because I know regular reckless driving in Virginia is a $1,000 fine not counting court costs etc. In a case of reckless driving in a school zone I'd bet it would be possibly higher... So Judge Long had cut her ticket from at minimum $1,200 to around $300.

And that dumb woman just kept arguing. Finally it dawned on her after Judge Long said what he said about paying the clerk.... She finally got the hint. I'd bet $100 to a $1 he was about to throw her rear end in jail and her be charged with contempt of court and reinstate the full reckless driving ticket to it's maximum amount. Which would have been well over $1,500 plus.

****edest thing I had ever seen.

Back