Way Oils

The most common Way oil I see is Vactra #2 - but I've come across postings saying it isn't the same as it used to be and some are claiming that Harig oil 16211245 is more like the old stuff and better.

But having read countless conflicting tales about which special Schmoo/oil is the best, I'm wondering if someone here knows anything about what might have changed in the Mobile product?

The story is that the old stuff, was sort of non-Newtonian - would form strings and that it helps keep slideways from sticking.

There is quite a price difference - with the Harig being almost twice the cost.

Way oils need to have two primary things; anti-wear chemistry and to be sticky so they have to have " tackifiers." The way oil is formulated for the loads encountered.

What equipment is this?

The Harig is a surface grinder - my application is a milling machine. Quite similar situation - metal ways need to float on each other - auto oil (divider) systems that help dilute dirt. The key is some old time machinists - that I respect, are saying that Vactra #2 isn't as sticky as it was - the old Vactra stuff and the Harig oil would form stings - some kind of non Newtonian additive?

Oils change over the years use a MAG approved oil and you will be fine ISO 68 maybe I did not look up.

Yes oils from 40 years ago re different than now days BUT they work as good improvements have been made.

Look for a lube tag on lubricator if not found try a ISO 68 way lube to start.

There are 2 kinds a or "way lubes" a tacky way lube or slideway only oil and a combo hydraulic and slideway oil.

The combo oil will NOT normally be tacky or stringy and are used in hydrualic and lead screw lubrication.

The tacky stringy oils are still available Mobil like most majors have changed formula over the years but "string and tack" are still around maybe a new name.

Vactra 2 is a ISO 68 it maybe less stringy than what is was 40 years ago But function is the same.

The Tack or strings as you call it did not do much for load it was is to reduce drip and run off slidways with a manule lubricator, modern auto lubers do away with much of the need for a "non drip" oil.

Last edited:
The Harig is a surface grinder - my application is a milling machine. Quite similar situation - metal ways need to float on each other - auto oil (divider) systems that help dilute dirt. The key is some old time machinists - that I respect, are saying that Vactra #2 isn't as sticky as it was - the old Vactra stuff and the Harig oil would form stings - some kind of non Newtonian additive?
Nice machine.

Here is one supplier of Way Oils:

schaefferoil said:
Moly Slide & Way Lube also contains adhesive-cohesive additives that allow the product to strongly adhere to the slides and ways.

Back