Waxing At Below 55 Deg F

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any suggestions on waxing a clayed and polished car at temps between 45-50 deg F, other than giving it extra time to cure?

Collinite and Meguiar's specify temps 55 and above.

Using Collinite 845 wax.

Thanks.

Pull the car in the garage. Or put it in the sun so the sun can heat the surface. It will take a long time to cure though. Otherwise streak city.

Are you using a power polisher or by hand. A power polisher will heat the surface some when applying.

What sun? Not enjoying TX weather....

Need more than a spray wax for winter weather here.

Hand waxing/polishing.

Plan to use a spray detailer to level wax.

Apply it very thin and buff off sooner than you think. If you can warm up the Collonite that could help. Not too warm though, just to help in applying it thin.

Another vote on spray wax. I guess I've gotten lazier after becoming a family man or maybe I just don't have the time to spend half a day waxing each of our vehicles. I have been really enjoying the ease of use and effectiveness of the Megs D156 I use as a wax-as-u-dry spray.

Applied a thin layer of Collinite, and let it cure for 45 minutes.

Buffed right off, without any issues. Nice shine. Did not act any different than in warmer temperatures.

Indeed! Thank heavens for spray waxes. As I get older my full size pickup and SUV are a challenge just to wash properly. I finish up with Turtle Wax spray wax mostly because if there's overspray it's ok - rated for paint, plastic, glass and rubber. Holds up ok too....

Originally Posted by double vanos
Indeed! Thank heavens for spray waxes. As I get older my full size pickup and SUV are a challenge just to wash properly. I finish up with Turtle Wax spray wax mostly because if there's overspray it's ok - rated for paint, plastic, glass and rubber. Holds up ok too....

Yep. These are not the spray waxes from times before. They really go on easy and have good durability with less effort.

Keep the 845 in the house. If you have a CATV box with a warm transformer, put the bottle on top of the box overnight (just don't block air vents).
It has a light solvent in it so it doesn't get affected by cool weather as much as water-based sealants.

There have been recommendations for spray waxes.

There seem to be two basic types:
1. Spray on, work into paint, let dry and buff
2. Spray on and buff

What are we talking about here?

For the 2nd type, tried Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Car Wax, and it does not seem to last long.

For the 1st type, just picked up some Chemical Guy's Blazin' Bananas, but have not had the chance to see how well it works.

Had to deal with this cold weather situation a couple of days ago, microwaved Collinite 845, shook it up, put a spray nozzle on the bottle, and used it as pseudo spray wax.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by knerml

There seem to be two basic types:
1. Spray on, work into paint, let dry and buff
2. Spray on and buff

What are we talking about here?

For the 2nd type, tried Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Car Wax, and it does not seem to last long.

For the 1st type, just picked up some Chemical Guy's Blazin' Bananas, but have not had the chance to see how well it works.

These are spray on - wipe off products. Some are labeled as detailers, some as waxes, hence the confusion. Polymers and other components really make these products easy to use.

https://www.autogeek.net/quickdetail.html

If you go with the plan of spray wax as you dry then your time involved is minimal. Couple this with a good sealant coat or your Collonite 845 once a year and you are good to go.

Never done it, but wonder how effective it would be to wax a panel, then warm it up with a heat gun (carefully) or hair dryer to cure the wax? Would probably need to do it in the garage so that cold wind would not hamper panel warming.

Originally Posted by PimTac
If you go with the plan of spray wax as you dry then your time involved is minimal. Couple this with a good sealant coat or your Collonite 845 once a year and you are good to go.

Actually, I am currently clay/polish/waxing twice a year, November and April. Then use either a detailer or spray wax after each wash.

The problem was this November was colder than normal, and this weekend was the only time temps approached 50 deg.

Last edited:
For the future, when I'm working with 845 in relatively low temps I keep the bottle in a container of hot water. This keeps the 845 from separating/becoming clumpy; it should have a thin consistency coming out of the bottle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back