Waxing a new truck? How soon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

irv

I am hopefully picking up a new SLT Sierra this wknd and I am curious if it is ok to wax my new truck right away or should I wait a set period of time before doing so?

Same goes for the leather interior, should a protectant/condition be applied right away or should I wait a bit? Thanks in advance........Irv

(P.S. best waxes/leather conditioners opinions appreciated as well)

With a new finish you might as well start right with the NXT Tech Wax. It will seal that clearcoat up and you wont have bottles of stuff you'll never use again sitting in milk crates like I do.

As already mentioned a new car is ready to wax as soon as you get it. Before the dealer "preps" the car and puts a coat of junk wax on it give them a call and tell them to leave it alone. Wash and prep the car yourself, give it a coat of Rejex it works very well on a new car. JMO

AD

Yep -- seal it right away. NXT will work -- if you don't mind stained trim. I'd suggest a coat of Duragloss or Collinite IW.

Agree with the others, your truck is ready for wax.

Personally, I'd recommend Zaino All In One for the paint, and the Zaino leather care products for the interior. Fantastic products and very highly regarded.

Since you're in Canada, try http://www.zainostore.ca/

Thanks for the tips everyone, I also posted at http://www.autopia.com and received similar responses.

Bretfraz, not sure the Zaino products are highly regarded over there though, seems to be some who think they are quit expensive and nothing more than that? (Just saying, I have no personal exerience)
It was also suggested I use a claybar first to removed the contaminents, thought they were just for older car finishes?
I think I will just give it a real good wash and put Meguire's cleaner/wax on it, I love the stuff and it comes off real easy as long as you let it sit for 5 minutes before hand.

A good wash should be all you need on a new finish. I will say go for the sealant as opposed to the wax for that first time. You dont need the cleaner wax because there isnt anything to clean.

Only use the Meguire's NXT wax if you want to wax every 2-3 months. That stuff just doesn't last long! Easy to use, though.

Originally Posted By: Dyoel182
A good wash should be all you need on a new finish. I will say go for the sealant as opposed to the wax for that first time. You dont need the cleaner wax because there isnt anything to clean.

depending how long the vehicle has been sitting on the lot and delivery on the truck, I would say if you dont use a claybar the cleaner wax would be a good idea, or a paint cleaner like megs Ceep crystal paint cleaner then a wax.

I vote for Collinite 845.

I wouldn't use a paste - You'll get swirl marks.

I always heard that you should wait 90 days to wax - but I also heard that Pennzoil was made from parafin and will sludge your engine! :)

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I vote for Collinite 845.

I wouldn't use a paste - You'll get swirl marks.

I always heard that you should wait 90 days to wax - but I also heard that Pennzoil was made from parafin and will sludge your engine! :)

I have heard great things about Colinite products but I am not sure I can get them in Canada?
As for the paint, I have found out that the factory paint jobs don't require that 90 day period, only body shops as when they are being painted in a factory they can use a heck of a lot more heat as there is no material or plastics to melt or burn.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Only use the Meguire's NXT wax if you want to wax every 2-3 months. That stuff just doesn't last long! Easy to use, though.

Sounds like Zymol wax, it shined fairly well but was a bugger to do and didn't last nearly long enough! Way too expensive imo as well, I really like this McGuire's cleaner/wax that I get from GM, it is super easy to use and shines like no tomorrow and lasts a long time!
I used it on my boat last fall and couldn't keep the boat on the trailer as it kept sliding off, awesome stuff......Irv

Do not let the dealer prep the truck for you.

Do not let the dealer sell you or add-on a special "paint sealant" or "protection package".

These are all bogus and profit adders.

Invest in some Microfiber Towels and only use them for your cars. Wash them seperate from other towels. They will pick up lint. Dont use fabric softener on them either.

I dont know what is available in Canada, but Collinite is great.

Invest in Meguiars Cla Bar Kit and follow the instructions. Clay the truck first then wax.

Even though the truck is new, it still has contaminates from sitting on the lot.

Good luck,

what color are you looking at?

Depending on the condition, it very well might need clay when new. My Fusion did. The trip up from Mexico must have been a long one? After your initial wash/dry, feel how smooth your hood feels (you could use the plastic baggy test). If it's smooth, you can wait to clay this Fall, or maybe even next Spring.

Originally Posted By: Islandvic
Do not let the dealer prep the truck for you.

Do not let the dealer sell you or add-on a special "paint sealant" or "protection package".

These are all bogus and profit adders.

Invest in some Microfiber Towels and only use them for your cars. Wash them seperate from other towels. They will pick up lint. Dont use fabric softener on them either.

I dont know what is available in Canada, but Collinite is great.

Invest in Meguiars Cla Bar Kit and follow the instructions. Clay the truck first then wax.

Even though the truck is new, it still has contaminates from sitting on the lot.

Good luck,

what color are you looking at?

Thanks for the tips again, that is funny islandvic, my dealer offered the exact same thing, only it is free due to a screw up and this is his offer to make me happy. I told him it wasn't necessary as it wasn't a big deal but he said no, he will do it for free($399 value?)
I dont' know what to think, makes me a little nervous being as it is only a dealer and I am also afraid of what this will do to my paint over the years??
My new truck's color is Carbon Black Metallic. Thanks again......Irv

$399 value. That's hilarious. It's a $3.99 bottle of wax issued to the detailing department, applied by some goon with a buffer and buffed to a high shine with some red shop rags. If you can avoid this 'service', just tell him you appreciate the generous offer, but you prefer to do it yourself. Either that, or spend your next free weekend with a random orbital buffer trying to un-do what they've done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back