Wax Test of the Durables- Collinte-Zaino-KSG

Status
Not open for further replies.
I started this test on 11/22/08 and ended it today. Obviously, the second coats of sealants where done w/o the cleaner, just used the sealant. Waxes two coats applied same day.

Collinite (No. 476s)----------------------------2 coats
Collinite (No. 845)------------------------------2 coats
Collinite (No. 915)------------------------------2 coats
Zaino Z2Pro and ZAIO-----------------------------2 coats cured one day part
Zaino Z5Pro & ZFX & ZAIO-------------------------2 coats cured same day
Zaino Clear seal Over Alcohol wipe and clay------2 thick coats cured one day apart
AIO & KSG----------------------------------------2 coats cured one day apart

They failed in this order, 845 failed first, 915, 476, (All Collinites failed before xmas), that was only 30 days. The Zaino Clear Seal right before the 3 month mark, then KSG and Z2pro failed sometime between the 3 month mark, and now. The Z5Pro cured with ZFX over ZAIO still has some protection on it. When I drag my finger across the surface from either the KSG portion, or Z2Pro portion, it grabs but stops grabbing and squeaking when I hit the ZFX activated portion. That's pretty much it, slam the process if you must but these are my results. Yes, I know it would have been more fair to put all waxes/sealants on same panel...and I also would have used side panels as opposed to flat top panels too. NEXT TIME.

Collinite is not any more durable then any other wax I've tried, I don't understand why people say it is. I bought 5 cans off what I read on the forums, and I think it's not a very durable product, I wont buy it again. Zaino Clear Seal is pretty durable, but fails before the "real" sealants, I like the wetlook, but don't think I'll buy that again either. it's easy to use, great for a quick coat of protection, but expensive and doesn't last as long as their other sealants. I assume I would get the same results had I switched Z5Pro with Z2Pro, or maybe even SG, I dunno? But these instant cures really really make a difference in durability IMO. Maybe that other brand (Instant Cure) whatever it's called is just as good, the stuff made by the autopia dude. I might try that when I run out of ZFX. Anyhow, I don't like waxing my car, because I wax a lot of cars as a side job, so I did this test to find the most durable setup for me personally and my good customers. So I thought I'd share with those interested, that's it.

3672726836_eb0bc488b6_b.jpg

3671922415_38959fdcab_b.jpg

Last edited:
neat test!

Ive found that KSG feels less smooth and beads 'less round' than 476s at earlier intervals. This doesnt mean that KSG isnt better or still sealed.

What are your metrics? Is finger drag the only one? Can you spray drops of water and show the difference in beading? IMO this would be a great way to actually see the difference.

What is your next test???

I don't believe it,why?? because i ran 845 Coll. all this winter on two of my vehicles and the shine and beading/smoothness was still holding this spring,Amazing.

Drag and water beading. I made no conclusions until after I washed it and rinsed it and saw the beading, or lack of beading. 845 was gone first wash two weeks after application. 915 was gone second wash, at the same time of second wash 476 was in the process of going from beading to gathering. I don't think I need another test, for me this was very informative and I know what I'm using on my car. I'll offer two options for customers, one will cost more and last longer. One will be Z2/5 pro with ZFX over ZAIO, and the other will be Optimum quick wax.

I had not seen the Zaino/Klasse car for a long time, from 3 month mark til today. Where there was CS, there are many water spots from it being unprotected in the fall/rainy months. Even though the ksg/Z2Pro had failed at this point (today), there was no spotting which leads me to believe they lasted into the summer. This car is a customers who only gets washes usually, I was able to use it for the test. I washed the car today, and gave it a cheap waxing, so the test is over. They were two different cars.

daman,
I have used Collinite on many vehicles, I wouldn't have posted this unless I had. I personally have been embarrassed on the lack of durability it has. I have only used it once and got semi decent durabilty, it was on a green ford sedan (forgot the model) and it still looked good after 1 month. I haven't seen that customer back since though. other then that I have not had good luck with 845 and I had two bottles of it. Collonite is not particularly user friendly, but not particularly hard to use either....but there is stuff much easier to use with the same durabilty that I will offer.

You won't get the best results with Zaino if you don't use their shampoo. It refreshes their protection with every wash. Getting one year out of Zaino z2pro by itself with one layer is easy.

I applied 2 coats of 476 before winter here, maybe oct/nov time frame and it lasted all through winter here with good beading.

Beading is not the only factor I know but it lasted for me on a 24/7 outside DD.

Obviously some people will have different results but it works for me. 845 does good too.

21.gif

So me and all the guy's over at outopia that get months out this are wrong,if you only got 30 days you did something wrong or you got bad product..i don't know what else to say the stuff just works,that and 476

I'm just waiting for the NuFinish boys to chime in
LOL.gif

Thanks for taking the time to test the products and typing your results on here. I am a very satisfied user of Griot's Garage products after using just about everything else out there. However, I've never used any of what you tested and may try a little test of my own.

I am running a similar test with 476 and some popular waxes (OTC, Boutique but no Zaino) and it seemed to start off better (sheeting quickly when flooded) but it definitely did not sheet or bead much better than what some call junk after over a month.

I am also wondering why some rave about it while others like me see it no better than anything else. I can only speculate there are environmental factors involved as well (pollen, acid rain, etc) besides the usual human emotion element.

The real test is to get someone to put samples on your paint and NOT tell you what is where. Then, decide. It removes any bias.

Originally Posted By: MKZman
I can only speculate there are environmental factors involved as well (pollen, acid rain, etc) besides the usual human emotion element.

The real test is to get someone to put samples on your paint and NOT tell you what is where. Then, decide. It removes any bias.

Probably, it was hot out here in November when the wax test started. Hottest months in SoCal is aug, sep, nov. waxes don't like heat, maybe that's why I haven't had any luck with any of them. This was a test for me, doesn't make much sense to cheat, lol. I'd gladly run it again on someone elses car.

Something I hardly ever see mentioned is the environment that the car is in. Some may get many months out of the same wax that some only get a few out of it. Applied wrong or bad product? Not necessarily. Heat, humidity, exposure to elements, number of times the car is washed or gets a mist and wipe product used on the paint (the more the paint is touched or rubbed, the quicker the wax layer will disappear) and so on all contribute to a more rapid degradation of the wax. An aside: I have gotten months and months out of my OTC Meguiar's waxes, from the A12 Cleaner Wax to NXT 1.0 and 2.0 to M26 Hi Tech Yellow Wax; that many people say don't last a month. I have also gotten less at times. It happens.

Beading is not a great indicator of wax presence, for those who are first to cry that out. Not all waxes are designed to bead water as much as, let's say, "normal" or "average" waxes. Some are designed to bead more than average.

The car being shiny for a long time? Most modern paints (BC/CC) are designed to stay shiny for a long time whether they are waxed or not. Yes, a waxed vehicle pretty much tends to look shinier and glossier and better than those that not. I am aware of this, before someone tries to declare a victory by saying that.

Drag is usually one of the only fair indicators, of course when the method is done correctly. You can usually also tell when you can't QD or dry the car without the MF towels being "grabbed" out of your hands by the paint.

I am not taking a side, but am sure someone will get hurt feelings over what I have posted and will proceed from there. Wax tests are not easy to conduct, due to the amount of work and observation that go into them. Thanks for the write-up sammy. I have never used any of these waxes, but hear about two of the brands all the time and was curious about them. It makes me feel better when I know that my $8 bottle of wax lasts just as long as the pricier ones; when properly cared for and maintained.

Nicely done, Sammy. If you are happy with the results, that's all that matters. Thanks for the hard work and the pics.

Originally Posted By: RTexasF
What was the surface preparation prior to applying all these products?

Collinite, a wash with clay and alc rub just prior, first coat WOWO on all C waxes after the surface was dry and last coat I let it dry plenty of time. I do have Collonite's paint cleaner too, but choose not to use it. I was doing what I thought would get the best durability out of every product, w/o mixing products. My belief if that Zaino and klasse's paint cleaners are more important for those products to achieve the best durability. I "thought" at the time that using as squeaky clean of a surface as possible, would be best for the wax. I'm still not sure if using sapphire wax would have helped with durability. I have zero doubt I would have gotten better durability if I used KAIO or ZAIO under any Collinite, but that isn't testing Collinite, that would be testing Klasse/Collinte or Zaino/Collinte.

Zaino/KSG, Wash,Perspective paint cleaner, 2 coats cured sealant. CS was different, I wanted to test it as a stand alone for my purposes, Clay and then alc rub. Plus I think ZAIO is a different sealant then CS. I didn't bother with Alc wipe with sealants because I believe their paint cleaners are part of their system and eliminates the need for a alc rub for durability. All paint cleaners where applied with a PC, and the sealants where applied by hand. Maybe I would have gotten better durability if I used a Paint Cleaner like ZAIO under the CS, but in my opinion that defeats the point. It is supposed to be an effortless product and I treated it as such. I wanted to see if this stuff was as good as advertised. That was the one product where I think I could have done something to achieve better durability possibly, but choose not to. I also think that AIO/KSG and Z2Pro/Z5Por&ZAIO contain the same sealants as the paint cleaners, just that the cleaners have less durability, and since they are like products I thought it was appropriate. I didn't consider that this could be "construed" as putting three coats of a product, but that is hindsight and yes i could have done things different. I still don't think three coats of a wax is any different then two, wax doesn't cure it just sits there.

I tried to be as complete as I could with this detail on process.

Thanks bret, it isn't like I didn't know people would disagree with results as i know a lot of people like Collinite. I couldn't imagine a scenario where Collinite would be "more" durable then Z2Pro/Z5Pro/KSG. I just don't believe that to be possible at all. Maybe 476 could beat CS on some occasions as far as length of durability, especially in cold climates. There are also two considerations when it comes to protection, thickness of coat and length of protection. Collinite would win hands down in thickness of protection, and CS would clearly loose here, with the other sealants in the middle.

So that is about all I can add. Not a perfect test by any means, but I wasn't testing for consumer reports, I was testing for myself. I was trying to get the most out of Collinite as I could, I have just had zero luck with this product line on many different surfaces, boats and cars. I would say if I was to use Collinite, it would definitely be 476. I haven't done a test like this before as I'm new to detailing for profit, I'm trying to do the best for the few people's cars I take care of. When I bought all this stuff it was because of these forums. I "thought" that these products where the most durable from what everyone was saying. The more products I've tested, the more I think there are really only a few that have good (6 mos or better) durability.

Last edited:
My official test just confirmed what I thought it would having used all the products previously, no surprises here for me.

Through salt, snow and winter muck, the 476s held up through a Northern Ohio winter for me. Applied two coats in the fall. Rewaxed in March. Water beading was good throughout the winter even after numerous washings to get the salt off. I have not had any reason to switch from 476s. The test Sammy did is interesting though. Good point by Sammy concerning wax application / durability in relation to hot weather vs. cold weather.

Originally Posted By: xtell
Through salt, snow and winter muck, the 476s held up through a Northern Ohio winter for me. Applied two coats in the fall. Rewaxed in March. Water beading was good throughout the winter even after numerous washings to get the salt off. I have not had any reason to switch from 476s. The test Sammy did is interesting though. Good point by Sammy concerning wax application / durability in relation to hot weather vs. cold weather.

I ran 845 last winter going to use 476 this winter,i have a stock pile of both 845 and 476 from Harbor freight close out that and DG polishes should last me a life time,only wax i will ever use,i gave my old stuff away or pitched it in the garbage.

i have read where some peole use Duragloss 601/105 as a base, then put on a coat or two of 476.

I have all the products mentioned and was gong to do the 601/105 base with either 476 or Megs M16 but I just got some Megs#20 poly sealant so I think I am going to try that out.

Originally Posted By: 02zx9r
i have read where some peole use Duragloss 601/105 as a base, then put on a coat or two of 476.

I have all the products mentioned and was gong to do the 601/105 base with either 476 or Megs M16 but I just got some Megs#20 poly sealant so I think I am going to try that out.

yes i have done that too 601 then 105 then x2 of 476,then look out, killer long lasting shine/protection.
crazy2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back