Waves from three different directions

wwillson

Staff member
This morning I was a passenger in our car and had the opportunity to take this picture of one point in the sky where there were waves moving in three different directions. You can see the waves in this picture, but with a wider view of the sky via my eye, it was pretty spectacular. I've never seen anything like this.

The wave directions were: N-S, E-W, and NW-SE

20210902_113328925_iOS.jpg

New to me.I think I see what you're talking about.
Thanks for using "there were" instead of "there's".

Very nice. I see this kind of pattern frequently along the coast with the wind blowing clouds in different directions. Makes for great sunrises and sunsets with the clouds ablaze.

New to me.I think I see what you're talking about.
Thanks for using "there were" instead of "there's".
I’ve never seen someone use” there’s “instead of “there was.” “There’s” only “means there is “or “there has.”

That is pretty unusual up in the northern part of the country, and at least over toward Pittsburgh. Typical weather pattern is west to east, all day long. After moving to Florida, all that is different. Here, you can get the sea breeze (east to west) the Gulf breeze (west to east) and a southern breeze all in the same day, and sometimes, all at the same time!
Probably one of the tougher places to be a weather forcaster! :)

There's is a contraction for "there is" so it would be present tense. But I failed English, so don't take my word for it!
Not to be confused with "their's".

Would “there’s” mean present tense, and “there were” mean past tense?
It's not about present and past tense. There are contractions for present, past, future, conditional, and perfect in English. I'm, weren't, we'll, I'd, I've.

I’ve never seen someone use” there’s “instead of “there was.” “There’s” only “means there is “or “there has.”ny contractions, based on tense and singular/plural.
There's could mean there is/was/has.
It's not about present and past tense. There are contractions for present, past, future, conditional, and perfect in English. I'm, weren't, we'll, I'd, I've.
And there're contractions for singular and plural.

Last edited:
Not really sure what is special about what I am looking at?
I just see a sky with some clouds like I see all the time?
I added lines parallel to the visible waves. If you could have seen from horizon to horizon it would be much more apparent. If I hadn't been in a moving car I would have made a panorama, then it would have been much easier to see.

What is so unusual is seeing visible atmospheric waves moving in three different directions at the same time and virtually the same altitude.

20210902_113328925_iOS.jpg

Reactions: 555
"their's"
"Their's" is not a word. It would be "Theirs"

Theirs is the third person plural possessive pronoun that should never have an apostrophe. Why? Just because someone a long time ago said so, as did my 4th grade English teacher. She had my Dad, my Mom and all of his and her brothers, so I heard stories of how she maintained decorum in her classroom when corporal punishment was allowed. I was NOT about to question her. When I was about 35 and she was about 85, I met her in the hallway of the old folks home and we had a nice conversation. I didn't ask her about proper English, but I sure as heck used it.

Back