Waterless Coolant

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been watching Wheeler Dealers on Youtube lately, often they use Waterless Coolant in the cooling system.
Looks like interesting stuff, Zero pressure at 100c, will not freeze at -40 and lasts a lifetime.

Anybody use it?

Are you talking about Evan's Waterless Coolant? I'm not sure how they have people switch to this. Even a very small amount (2-4%) of water degrades the performance of the waterless coolant. In an engine that may have 2.5 gallons of coolant, that's a leftover amount of water in entire cooling system of only 8-10 oz. That's just 1 CUP! Not sure I could get every single oz of coolant out of my engine... ever.

Originally Posted By: tinmanSC
Are you talking about Evan's Waterless Coolant? I'm not sure how they have people switch to this. Even a very small amount (2-4%) of water degrades the performance of the waterless coolant. In an engine that may have 2.5 gallons of coolant, that's a leftover amount of water in entire cooling system of only 8-10 oz. That's just 1 CUP! Not sure I could get every single oz of coolant out of my engine... ever.

Yes, the only reference I see is for Evan's
I understand there is a Prep fluid you use if the engine has had water in it previously.

Originally Posted By: tinmanSC

Just the word I have read about it. It turned into a goo !

Somewhere I read on the website that cold temp issues can be problematic, like thin passaged radiators etc.

Seemed to be more effort that it is worth

I looked into this coolant a couple of years ago. I spoke to someone at the Evans company and was told that one of the draw backs to this coolant is that it will leak out of ANY small leak, even leaks that regular coolant will not leak out of.

Along with the leak from any small crack or questionable hose seal, because it should not have ANY water you pretty much have to install it as an initial fill after an engine rebuild. Or if I remember correctly, they offer a product that you can fill the cooling system with and then drain the cooling system to get out the water, and then install the water-less coolant.

The Evans Coolant thing started being talked about a few years ago for heavy diesels in semi trucks. A few folks tried it out and it didn't work out as well as it was presented. Many are just sticking with the red ELC coolant now for their commercial diesels. A heck of a lot cheaper, superb cavitation protection on liners compared to older coolants, great water pump lubrication and seal protection, no testing required, and it can go 600.000+ miles before needing changed. Only a quart or two of extender is added at the 300,000 mile mark, for about $15 a quart. And it is only about $12 for a fresh gallon of 50/50 mix of the coolant itself. It is just about the standard factory fill on all new commercial diesels.

Been a while, but IIRC some guys liked the idea in their old rides with old radiators which might be hard to replace if they burst. One of the benefits was the much higher boiling point, which meant the system did not have to run pressurized. Or that at 100C it was not pressurized.

I want to say those guys planned to run for a while with the cap off, that would let any residual water evaporate off.

Been a while, memory fuzzy, but it seemed like a good application for old rides. New rides, probably not.

One thing that Evans was, and may still be, promoting is putting in higher temp thermostats. Claim is that it increases efficiency of the engine. But some components are not set up to handle those higher temps for very long. That is what shotgunned the idea in commercial trucking. Pretty costly for a $30,000 engine to bite the dust over gimmicks like this.

I have run Evans in my Caddy for years...no problems. And bear in mind: I am cooling a 542ci, 500HP stroker with a STOCK service chassis cooling system designed for a 200HP 425!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back