water softner

i'm looking into a water softener that doesn't require hauling the bags of salt ...it's just getting to much for my old body , does anyone here have one ? any suggestions ? seems like there are several out there but which one really does the job thanks for any help

We have a Kinetico as do my parents. ~300lbs lasted us 6 months but we’re pretty hard on water usage... family of 4 soon to be 5, so we run baths pretty often.

Not up on products that don't use salt. Mine is 15 years old and has a 30 gallon drum for salt beside it. 4 bags of salt last us (3 kids 1 adult; lots of showers and laundry) gets us about 5 weeks.

Aqua System has done fine for us. Water softeners require salt. Water filtration systems are fine, but you might still get hard water deposits.

Concur it is PITA and I am healthy active 50 year old. My 15 year old daughter (athletic) helps me always with it as she calls out it is out as her showers don't feel right. Ours takes 7-8 50lb bags so a small production to fill etc.

If the softer is working I would pay a neighborhood kid to fill the salt for you. $10/time to help you unload car, carry to softer and fill? It would be far cheaper than replacing the unit. Great first job for a 12-14 year old kid.

Pretty much all water softener companies I'm familiar with continue to offer salt delivery service that includes filling up your brine tank. They obviously charge a fee for that convenience, but for older folks or those with disabilities, it really does get tough lifting those 40 pound salt bags yourself.

As has already been pointed out, all water softener systems require salt. There are saltless ones but they do not actually exchange the ions and remove them. Those types are also not appropriate for moderate to high hardness water.

The only thing that will give you soft water without salt is a reverse osmosis system. But you will be trading inexpensive salt for VERY expensive filters. They'll be lighter though, as will your wallet. :(

We have a "water conditioner" and as far as my wife and I can tell it really doesn't do anything besides act a glorified sediment filter. We're replacing it with a water softener soon.

Yes, we get that in Florida, a lot because there is quite a bit of limestone in Florida. A water softener is probably going to do the trick for you. You should consider finding a company that specializes in water purification systems. They will come out and test your water, show you the results, recommend and install the system and most of them have a package you can buy that they come out and maintain it, fix it when it breaks and keep it full of salt on a monthly basis. With that, you just "pay the man" and they do everything for you. To me, that sounds better than scrubbing hard water spots off everything every week and replacing fixtures every three years.

See if you have Culligan water softener tank exchange in your area. I use it in my current house as my county prohibits the use of softeners that discharge salt brine. The tanks need to be exchanged every 28 days by culligan, so it is a service, but no hauling bags of salt is required.

A new system could significantly reduce your salt use depending on how old your current system is. Of course it depends on hardness, but my 4 year old softener at a hardness setting of 12 GPG regenerates every 2200 gallons or so...2 person household and I buy (2) 40 lb bags of salt every 6 months or so.

Use one of the softener companies to add salt periodically. I checked with Culligan about a two years ago and it was $9.00 a bag. About four dollars a bag at that time. I guess that would be worth it for some who can't handle the chore. I have to think about installing three bags of salt every three months. Kind of sneak up on it. Time is coming when I will have to use them or one of the other companies in that business.

I am confusing about choosing Reverse Osmosis or a water softener for my home. I need some suggestions about this problem so I hope someone can willing to help me. Thanks!

I am confusing about choosing Reverse Osmosis or a water softener for my home. I need some suggestions about this problem so I hope someone can willing to help me. Thanks!
They perform different duties! RO is for drinking and WS is for using with all the appliances etc and is not recommended for drinking.

Back