Water lubrication ? To stay on subject on forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently read an article online that every year or so the water impeller for an outboard needs to be changed/switched out due to wear and misshaping over a period of time.

I found a YouTube video on how to do just that on a small less than 20hp motor. It seemed like something I can easily do myself.

My question is it that easy to do? Or is it something a boat mechanic should take on now during the busy season?

My motor is a 15hp '96 model Evinrude. The impeller is around 12bucks. Bolts for lower unit is perhaps 6 bolts. Once removed and put back together is it wise to put a little locktite on the threads to keep them from coming loose?

Simple task for a reasonably mechanically incline fella? Or leave it alone and find a shop do switch it out. Reason why I think it needs to be switched out is age of motor and neglect on my dad's part to have the basic sense that it needed to be done a lot more than if it has ever been switched out. And the fact it takes a few more seconds to shoot water out of check jet stream on on side of motor than I am thinking.

Thanks.

i have done several different motors ,although not an Evinrude. As you can see it is a simple procedure. Just take your time , I would lube the bolts before you reinstall them not locktite you should have lock washers on the bolts. Pay attention to the position of the gear shift,( in or out of gear) for your model, makes for easier reassembly.

The requirement to replace every two years comes from the 1960's. At that time the impellers were rubber. They have all been changed to modern materials like hypolon, or silicone rubber since the early 1990's. Most impellers last 10 years now unless run in the sand (beaching or river bars).

If it makes a strong cooling stream at the visual discharge point it does not need doing. If it's weak there or just dribbles it does.

Nothing wrong with doing it and good practice if you need to change out in the woods one day, but test first and evaluate ...

I just changed mine on a 90hp Yamaha. Boat was new to me and I wanted to get in there and see how the old one was. Old one was in perfect shape and really didn't need replaced, but I replaced it anyways since I was in there and had the parts. Very simple process, took about an hour. Probably even easier on a smaller engine.

Cool. Thanks.

I thought it would be okay to do it myself. I just looked yesterday and found that I might just switch out the whole housing for the water pump assembly as its around 40bucks. I also read that some are now plastic not aluminum and that will be determined when I'll either get it online or at a dealer or boat shop. If they ask for more than 45bucks I'll just tell them I will just get it online (no tax with some places online) and see what the parts guy says. If he thinks twice about it they might want to give me a break and want my business. If not I'll just walk out as some places are just flat out rude as heck. I have done just that a few times. I don't see how those places stay in business honest to gawd. I guess they are just that way. And only want to deal with deep pocket customers. $$$ is just as good as the next guy. Just a different wallet.

Back to water pump assembly, I think after 20yrs and that fact that I did go through a sandy spot on accident several months ago during low tide didn't help. Oppsie. That and a few other mishaps can contribute, too.

Last edited:
If I were you I would do the impeller but I would NOT change out the housing. Most likely it is fine and a waste of money to replace. I just hate to replace a perfectly good part just because.

Sounds like the better idea. It has always been a weekend warrior motor over its life since new. So the housing may be okay then. But this brackish water with the rivers and bay water will hurt this 15hp that is 20 years old.
It is great motor, but I think this may need to be a housing switch due to age. I'll get the impeller locally if priced decent.

I'll get the impeller this week and just ask what the housing kit would typically be in cost so if I see major wear I can get local and not have to order and wait for shipping.

Thanks.

We do an impeller change on the Yamaha 250 every 2 years whether it needs it or not. It is peace of mind when we consider that sometimes we run 30+ miles in a day on our trips. It is not a difficult job, except with the 250 it takes a few of us to pull the heavy lower unit off. We keep an extra impeller in the boat along with the tools and lube just in case. A few years ago we took 2 boats on our trip to Lake Calcasieu. The other boat owner didn't want to spend the $50 and time on the repair even though we offered to do it. On day 4 of 6 his impeller imploded 6 miles out. That was a long-slow tow with a smaller boat. There are several youtube videos on the repair.

Last edited:
If you aren't over maintaining the boat you are broken down. Time on the water is too valuable not to over maintain. Too embarrassing to be towed in.

I have done small Evenrudes...you can do it yourself. In addition to the bolts, you have to disconnect the shift shaft, but it's all pretty easy. Good idea to pressure and vacuum test the lower unit while it is off. Water pumps don't need to be done every year unless constantly run in very dirty water. I believe new Evenrude E-TEC engines don't require the first pump change for 3 years.

Originally Posted By: InhalingBullets
We do an impeller change on the Yamaha 250 every 2 years whether it needs it or not. It is peace of mind when we consider that sometimes we run 30+ miles in a day on our trips. It is not a difficult job, except with the 250 it takes a few of us to pull the heavy lower unit off. We keep an extra impeller in the boat along with the tools and lube just in case. A few years ago we took 2 boats on our trip to Lake Calcasieu. The other boat owner didn't want to spend the $50 and time on the repair even though we offered to do it. On day 4 of 6 his impeller imploded 6 miles out. That was a long-slow tow with a smaller boat. There are several youtube videos on the repair.

Ouch.

I'll see about taking a few pictures but I will not go the extra mile and show step by step.

A simple or stupid question would be that I would need to drain the lower unit oil before unbolting it. 2nd question is that a boat dealer parts/service guy said he wouldn't advise me doing this as lining up the shifter rod would be a bit tricky. He then said its a whopping $200 buck job for them to do it. NOT A BLOODY chance for that. He then said my motor probably isn't worth the $200. I just shrugged and said oh well. But I would love to have said this motor is in pretty good shape for how old it is. Just the impeller needs the replacing and the prop has s few dings/bad spots on it.

A new prop will be put on it sometime this summer.

(They do not have the boat I want at their dealer anyhow). Ha. Plus I believe the place is more of a broker than dealer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back