Water in Oil ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ndx

Hi my buddy was changing gasket on the valve cover ...
When he was washing engine before ... he got 5-10ml of water there .. ( I'm not sure how he did that lol )
Anyways He now wonders if he should change oil ?

I would just take it for a ride to burn the water out ..

Hi.
Since it is only 5-10ml, there is no need to chage it. He needs to get the engine hot, so that the water evaporates. Nothing to worry about.

Thank You, yeah I was thinking about getting it hot :)

Change it. Why risk it? Who knows how much actually got in there. I've seen what water does to an engine.

Oil is cheap, and engine isn't... Change it out, and the filter too.

Then take it for a good long ride to get the engine hot to evaporate any water that might not have come out.

No need to panic though...
grin2.gif

A good run and gertting the oil up to temp will take care of that little bit of water no problem, i would not change it.

if its really just 5-10ml that's probably about the same amount of moisture that gets in the engine oil after it sitting overnight in the cold. just get the engine good and hot and forget about it after that. no need to waste oil. although if it is signifigantly more water than that you might consider changing the oil.

I agree that you should change it. No sense risking the engine and the expense of a rebuild over a cheap oil change. I would do an OC then throw some Seafoam in there with the new oil to remove any residual moisture( one of things Seafoam does is remove moisture from the crankcase and it does it well ). Run that oil for approx 100-200 miles then change again and have no worries.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
I agree that you should change it. No sense risking the engine and the expense of a rebuild over a cheap oil change. I would do an OC then throw some Seafoam in there with the new oil to remove any residual moisture( one of things Seafoam does is remove moisture from the crankcase and it does it well ). Run that oil for approx 100-200 miles then change again and have no worries.

All that over that little bit of water?,to each his own i guess.
winking0010.gif

Originally Posted By: daman
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

All that over that little bit of water?,to each his own i guess.
winking0010.gif

Yup!
thumbsup2.gif

No way of being sure it was just the little bit they "think" got in there either. Water in the oil, regardless of how much it is, is never a good thing. For less than $40( 2 OC's w/ filter and the Seafoam )they could make sure nothing bad came of it.

Last edited:
I wasn't aware that Amazon was running an RP deal? I will have to check on it an see how much $$$.

EDIT - I went to the sale forum here and checked out the link. The one linked here is to 10W-30. I have to run 5W-20. Checked Amazon out and best deal was a case price of $94.12 with free shipping( if you go over $100 )so assuming I found something else to get the free shipping the oil would still come to $7.84 a qt. I have never paid more than $6.50 a qt so it is not a deal for me.

Thanks for the heads up though.
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
My truck( 08 Dodge Ram 1500 )has the 5.7L HEMI engine with MDS. MDS requires a 20 weight oil for proper operation. No MDS and the 10W-30 would be ok in the warmer summer months. Actually ran some RP 10W-30 in my 04 HEMI Ram. I can still get the oil, even in 10W-30, cheaper than that deal though from my speed shop guy. For most people though it is a steal seeing as the price of RP at national chains is out of control.

Thanks again.
thumbsup2.gif

Yeah, $5.75-$6.25 p/qt is what I have been paying. All depends on which warehouse my guy gets it at and that is determined by how fast I need it. If I remember to order it early enough it is the $5.75. If I need it last minute it is $6.00-$6.25. $6.50 has been the most I ever paid and that was when he had it next day for me.

Usually I order it 3-4 days or even a week ahead as he adds it to his regular weekly stock order which saves him, and thus me, a lot of $$$. RP had a price hike recently at least on the national parts store shelves. May have gone up through my source too?
frown.gif
Last order for oil from him was in January or February. I will need some here sometime June/July so I will see what I am paying now?
21.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back