Water in differential

got some water in my differentials. Going to drain and refill. Will a one time drain and fill be sufficient or will I need to do several gear oil swaps?

if I need to go through a couple of swaps would it be a bad idea to use some inexpensive dino gear oil for maybe 10-15 miles and the drain and switch back to synthetic?

2013 toyota tundra, Calls for a 80w-90 or 75w-90 synthetic gear oil

If it were me, I would drop the diff covers, clean out inside the pumpkin as best I can, use compressed air to blow out and dry as best I can, seal up and refill with 75w90 syn.

Edit: sorry, Tundras do not have removable diff covers. I would drain and fill with a cheap dino fluid, run for a short while, then switch back to your normal syn.

How did you get water in them? o_O:unsure:

Use the cheap dino for a week or so, then do it again with the oil you really want :)

How did you get water in them? o_O:unsure:

Use the cheap dino for a week or so, then do it again with the oil you really want :)

It can happen via poor seals, clogged vent, or too warm a diff through cold water and the vent can't balance fast enough.
Axles aren't always water tight and intrusion can happen often off road. Changing diff fluid after a wheeling trip with many water crossings should be standard maintenance along with greasing u-joints and steering/front end components.

Sounds like you're driving on it now prior to the change. Drive it for a bit to warm/mix it up and then change it out. If you let it drain for a while and refill, it will be fine.

I'd pull the differential cover let it drain and clean up what is easy to access. Put it together fill with a cheap dino fluid drain it after about a mile or two of driving, repeat, drain and fill with my favorite gear oil. If the covers can't be removed, I'd probably do three drain and fills with cheap dino gear oil, then fill with my favorite gear oil and posi-additive if required.

I'd pull the differential cover let it drain and clean up what is easy to access. Put it together fill with a cheap dino fluid drain it after about a mile or two of driving, repeat, drain and fill with my favorite gear oil. If the covers can't be removed, I'd probably do three drain and fills with cheap dino gear oil, then fill with my favorite gear oil and posi-additive if required.

He doesn't have a cover as it's a Toyota. He'd have to pull the 3rd member.

OP - you live on the coast, is it ocean water?

He doesn't have a cover as it's a Toyota. He'd have to pull the 3rd member.

OP - you live on the coast, is it ocean water?
Yes, I mentioned what I would do if the cover couldn't be removed. What I also meant was if there was no cover, and/or removal of the cover was difficult. As long as it can be drained and refilled the OP should be GTG following my suggestion. Sorry I wasn't clear enough.

Went to Botswana In 2013 for a safari and it was dry season but the Okavango Delta area we were in was miles of 2-3’ deep water that we drove thru daily. I asked the guy at the lodge and he said they changed the fluid daily. Trip of a lifetime.
That said, I’d drain it and fill with cheap stuff, wait a week and put whatever synthetic you like in there if there’s not a diff cover to remove

Attachments

• 99373142-7074-42DD-88DD-B806BDEA54C5.png
    99373142-7074-42DD-88DD-B806BDEA54C5.png
    533.2 KB · Views: 17
Yes, I mentioned what I would do if the cover couldn't be removed. What I also meant was if there was no cover, and/or removal of the cover was difficult. As long as it can be drained and refilled the OP should be GTG following my suggestion. Sorry I wasn't clear enough.
No need to be sorry dude, didn't mean to dink you. I'd bet the OP could use a 1/2" electric impact on the housing studs, zap off the 3rd member (draining the oil), cleaning, and add a nice bead of 'cone all without even removing the driveshaft. The slip yolk probably has enough room.

Drained the fluid today- didn’t see any indication of water. Went ahead and refilled with synthetic gear lube

btw- truck was caught in a saltwater storm surge last week, water was above breather

This would be the perfect test for the old argument about whether marine gear lube is really worth the extra bucks. Might need some limited slip modifier for a truck.

Bumping an old thread. Pulled the drain on my rear diff and it came out like chocolate milk. Not happy.

No idea where its coming from. Long ago I replaced the haphazard OEM vent with a barb and hose the runs up under the tail-light, and it plugged with one of those blue fish tank permeable stone's. Everything was intact, no nicks in the line. Never had any issues before. I guess I will replace the line and double check the barb, and maybe find something other than the fish tank stone?

I refilled it with the normal 75W90 Valvoline, but I guess I will run it for a few miles and drain it again, see what it looks like and go from there? Or does pulling the cover off really add that much value?

How much water does it actually take to look like a light brown milkshake?

Back