Water from the sky

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a strange experience today. I walked outside, and droplets of water appeared to be falling through the air. I looked around to see if someone was spraying a hose in my direction, but these droplets were everywhere, and appeared to be falling from a great height. This "rain," as it seems to be called, is said to be associated with the presence of clouds, which we've seen this summer. And the humidity has been brutal, sometimes over 50%!

When I ventured out onto the highway, I saw that folks here in southern California have learned to deal with the dangers of wet roadways by speeding up, so as to get out of danger more quickly. I saw an accident involving several cars, so I accelerated to do my part for safety. Nonetheless, I was passed by numerous cars and motorcycles who apparently took the rain even more seriously than I.

Until now, I thought that our water came mostly from underground pipes. You wouldn't know that they are there, except that they sometimes suddenly rupture and obliterate entire intersections and so on. It takes quite a few men leaning on shovels to get them working again.

Fortunately, I'm safely home now. I wasn't sure that I was driving fast enough to avoid danger, but I guess I did OK.

Very witty post!

I've been in L.A. when rain came down after weeks without any...it was a bad day in traffic.

On a serious note...I hope you guys get some much needed help from the skies soon.

It is amazing that people who can't peel their eyes from their phones for longer than 30 seconds, absolutely insist on speeding up when we get any rain whatsoever. Especially bad in the extremely rare summertime shower, and portions of some greasy roads are as slippery as driving slushy wintery roads.

We got a whole 0.03 inches, and the wind might have broken double digits in that single gust!

It was a Deluge!!! A guller warsher!! A drought breaker for sure! We should go waste some water and shake our fists at the prices of water. That'll show 'em. I'm going to go rip off my water saving shower head that comes out of the wall at the level of my neck and mail it to Al Gore.

^ That's funny...very clever!

laugh.gif

I actually know what the OP said is true from 42 years ago.
My first trip to California. I took a walk (yes, a WALK -WITH MY LEGS) in Canoga Park in the rain.
I watched people smashing their cars into everything and into each other.
I conclude now that people there are exactly like the people in the "Vodka Videos" of today.
They have no idea what adhesion to the road means and are lacking in every physical sense.

Honestly, we don't appreciate how quickly we lose our practical senses.
People are very limited and rust prone.
It's too bad we don't fight our "ever-dulling" edge.

If you don't think to slow down in the rain and snow, you're not stupid necessarily.
You just aren't thinking enough. Kira

Originally Posted By: tom slick
That water was coming down from the pipe that broke at UCLA. There's no way it was natural.

It was ancient, to quote Eddie Izzard "It was over FIFTY years old"

Originally Posted By: tom slick
That water was coming down from the pipe that broke at UCLA...

Son’s Escape didn’t escape the flooding in its subterranean UCLA parking structure. It’s a write-off.

He was almost in tears about the whole episode.
I gently reminded him of those in less fortunate situations, the families across the globe without cars, and the folks waiting on bus benches in all kinds of weather.
First world challenges we all face.

Borrowing the Miata to finish out his School of Engineering summer session seemed to lift his spirits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back