Water Cooled Computer, with Pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Click on the link to read the whole story, see all of the pics, and see this guy's other projects: http://www.vonslatt.com/proj-cc4.shtml

Neat project! He doesn't mention how often we should have it flushed!
wink.gif

-

-

Wow, serious copper in that project. Water cooling was a feature in high end DEC machines of the 1980s so the concept isn't that wacked!

quote:

Originally posted by simple_gifts:
Wow, serious copper in that project. Water cooling was a feature in high end DEC machines of the 1980s so the concept isn't that wacked!

Actually, I don't believe we ever sold the liquid cooled, just a research/developement project. The larger VAXs, 8600/8800/9000, all were air-cooled if I remember correctly.

And the VAX 6XXX effectively killed their life-span with a single,multi-pipe cpu chip and multi-processor capability. It was also air-cooled.

The 64 bit Alphas all were air-cooled also.

Nice project.

Just seal the case, and use 3M Fluorinert. I worked at Cray Research for 4 years. They used Fluorinert for cooling their Supercomputers. In one application, all the modules were completely submerged. In others, the 'nert would run through the cold plate of the modules. Back in the early 90s, it was around $200/gal. It evaporates very quickly if left exposed.

The E3 AWACS has some kind of computer cooling going on as well. Anyways, liquid cooled computer decks are out there. Personally, I want one not out of need but from the cool factor, reminds me of a car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back