Water Coming in the Passenger Side Vent

Took my '02 4Runner through the car wash. As we are traveling through, soap bubbles started coming through the passenger side vent. I then feel water dripping on my feet on the driver's side. Come home and take the glove compartment apart. Start up engine and get the water hose out. I drown the cowl vent and the sun roof with copious amounts of water. Not a drop. I just did it again this morning and not a drop. Please point me down the right road.

What I did was remove that black plastic tube which connects the white vent with the passenger vent. I runs behind the glove compartment.
I was looking for water to come out of the white plastic vent.

Why can't I duplicate it? Soap bubbles were coming through the passenger side vent. See Pics.

NOTE: The water you see in the lasts three pics was my error. I forgot to raise the passenger side window when running water on the
sunroof this morning. LOL

Attachments

• IMG_5993.jpeg
    IMG_5993.jpeg
    105.7 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_5996.jpeg
    IMG_5996.jpeg
    157.4 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_5998.jpeg
    IMG_5998.jpeg
    126.8 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_5999.jpeg
    IMG_5999.jpeg
    114.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_6002.jpeg
    IMG_6002.jpeg
    156.6 KB · Views: 29
I am gonna take it back through the car wash today with everything just like it is. Will advise.

I'm guessing a drain is stopped up? This happened 1/2 way through the car wash. With the black connector removed, no water dripped on my feet.

Attachments

• IMG_6003.jpeg
    IMG_6003.jpeg
    74.5 KB · Views: 20
Maybe this is normal? I have never noticed it before. I noticed the AC drain is working fine. We just signed up for that monthly car wash.
We run the AC through the car wash with the other 4 cars. Nothing happens?? Maybe I just need to suck it up and sweat my way
thru the car wash when I am in the 4Runner?

Foam will defy gravity, unlike water. You have a clog accumulating a small amount of water with foam riding on top, getting sucked into the intake.

Ok. So the fact I can see water running under my 4Runner with the AC on does not prove nothing is stopped up. Some other
"cowl" drain could be stopped up? Whatever that is????:oops:

OK, I took off the windshield wipers and cowl and poured water down each side. Water poured out of the rear of the front fenders on both sides.
So, the cowl drains must be clear.

I then took dawn detergent laced water and ran it down both of the front sun roof drains. Water drains out behind both fenders.

Where do I go next?

Blower motor area?

OK, I took off the windshield wipers and cowl and poured water down each side. Water poured out of the rear of the front fenders on both sides.
So, the cowl drains must be clear.

I then took dawn detergent laced water and ran it down both of the front sun roof drains. Water drains out behind both fenders.

Where do I go next?

Blower motor area?
Question: was this the first time you went to that car wash?

Took out blower motor and all inside the housing was wet. One of the screws that hold the blower motor in place was completely rusted in the plastic housing.

The flaps that open and close to change the air from “fresh” to “recirculate” were wet.

I wish I knew where the fresh air comes in.

All under the passenger side mat is wet.

Put it on recic going through the car wash.

Verify the seals on the recirc door are good and that it fully closes…

You need to actually see the cowl drains.

Cowl guys. I’m glad you are so smart. I should have proof read before posting.
Welcome to the BITOG world. :ROFLMAO:

I learnt they kin git you up agin ifen you dudnt
Due your do diligence

Put it on recic going through the car wash.

Verify the seals on the recirc door are good and that it fully closes…

You need to actually see the cowl drains.
Will do. I watched the doors open and close after I removed the motor.

The cowl drains are flowing fine. I can see them emptying into the top of the fender wells.

If this only happens in the car wash and doesn't lead to pooled or standing water, I'd probably just vacuum it up and call it good. I've had this happen in my Explorers, but not every time. I guess sometimes the blower motor gets good suction on the foam? Bottom line, on a 20+ year old vehicle you might do more damage trying to totally eliminate something like this vs just using the shop vac/car wash vacuums.

Back