Water build up

Status
Not open for further replies.

gj

Anyone have issiue with 95' F-150 water building up in lens?I bought the truck back in March.Had to replace bulb today.The bulb was gone,only fillament was there. .I wonder if the water had something to do with it.I drilled about 5 small holes in the bottom and it drained out.Didn't know what else to do.Replaced both bulbs by the way.the pass side din't have any water i went ahead and drilled it also.Thanks

I had water buildup in the lenses of my 92 taurus, so much that I was blowing bulbs every 2 weeks or so on the LH side. I had a spare lens that had come off the car when I hit a deer with it, that also had water buildup in it, but was allowed to dry out. I took some windshield silicone (flowable silicone) and applied it to the lens at the seam between the clear plastic and the darker plastic on the body, let it dry overnight, and re-installed it. Solved the problem..

Drilling lets the water drain but still allows moisture in. The plastic seam is pressed/glued together and over time the seam lets in water.

This year we've had a lot of rain here in southwest VA also that has contributed to the problem.If it snows as much in the winter as it has rained in the spring we are gonna be hurting.I will look ito seeing if I can seal it up before winter.Thanks

Make sure that the lens is completely dry inside before sealing it up. Some people have used a hair dryer to put in the bulb hole to dry it out faster. You might want to seal up the holes you drilled to...

Is it me, or is this pretty common with Fords, especially ones from the '90s? I know of a few people who had water in their headlights on older Fords.

I think its the way they are made coupled with time. They are actually two pieces of plastic with the front lense as one piece and the back non-clear piece the other. They are glued/sealed together where they meet and over time the seal/glue degrades and lets in water..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back