Water Beading ( Bad or Good )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ndx

Hi Guys,

I just wonder what is the big deal with water beading ...

It would be better to sheet water off then keep beads on paint .. Spots after they dried ...

I bought Collnite 476's everyone is talking about incredible beading :)

Last edited:
Water beading is supposed to indicate wax protection. However some synthetic polymer sealants to not bead.

One good thing about a good coat of wax that beads is that is so much nicer to dry off the car after a wash. Just take the nozzle off when your done and run water straight from the hose and all the water beads will collect and run off - leaving a 90% dry car. Then, one small towel will finish your drying. Easy and looks great.

Of course, if you don't dry off, you are right - water spots galore!

Beading is ideal. It only beads when it is "sprayed" or "Rain" water.

If you take a hose with no nozzel, just flowing water to a waxed car, the water just glids right off like oil on water.

Beading is supposedly the measuring stick of a wax/sealant. The more & tighter the beads, the better. I would prefer a product that sheets the water off of the paint & glass but none exist to my knowledge.

Beading is related to surface tension, where one way to try to measure it is with the contact angle between the surface and the liquid of the bead. As the angle gets bigger the beads get bigger until they sheet and no longer bead. Some optics try to prevent beading with coatings so that water sheets.

This is true, on my 88 is, after following a 4 step process including claybar, etc. I was able to get my paint so well protected, that when the car was rained on, the rain was in such small beads, that the car looked like it had a fine laver of metallic hair on it.

Really neat to see, esp. since when you took the garden hose to it, it all collected together, and sheeted away.

Sheeting should leave fewer water spots after it rains.

People like beading because they like to see water droplets on their car. But the droplets actually holds more dirt and dust on the paint.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back