Water and maybe sludge in my oil

I recently installed a 4brrl intake and carb in my 1984 ford f150 302, changed the oil, tune up and all. About 600 miles later I checked the oil and appears to be a milky substance just on the tip of the stick. Drove it .8 of a mile to the shop, parked it checked it again a week later. No milky substance, but lots of crude on the stick. Feels gritty. I was assuming my intake didn't seal right but I dont see any water in it now. Just oil and crude. Coolant level has not gone down any. Truck runs just fine. Thinking about doing a uoa on it. Will anything else make oil appear milky on just the tip? Maybe it foamed up or something?

Maybe just change the oil and see what happens. If there is any appreciable amount of coolant in the oil and you haven't driven it much, it should come out first and you'll see it.

16079701029944348539790189734303.jpg
16079701293466613594432873907773.jpg
16079701507754460059803515403061.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I see a little bit of red silicone I must have got in there when I was cleaning up the surfaces. I drain the oil and I don't see any water in it maybe I'm just overreacting

The oil is very black and gritty I'm assuming that this oil is breaking up the sludge. As you can see in one of the pictures of the filter and looks like sand is on the inside of it. I got RGT 5w30. Should I try using it to keep it clean or stick with synblend. Also have some shell t4

For an old Windsor, that doesn't look bad at all, I wouldn't be too worried about it unless the trend continues.

Well I decided to go with RGT 5W30. manual says it can as long as its below 60°f. I think they back spec these engines anyway. Well see how it does.

Well I decided to go with RGT 5W30. manual says it can as long as its below 60°f. I think they back spec these engines anyway. Well see how it does.

'84 has a broomstick cam, I wouldn't be at all concerned about using "regular" oil in 5w-30, it's a very low power density application.

I see a little bit of red silicone I must have got in there when I was cleaning up the surfaces. I drain the oil and I don't see any water in it maybe I'm just overreacting
What else got in there if the silicone got in there ?

I see that foam a lot in my generator because it does a 12-minute start up every week that's not enough to burn off evaporation. Are you working from home these days and doing a lot of short tripping? It's probably just moisture and a good long run will make it disappear

Back