Watched "Idiocracy" Movie - interesting concept!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
A lot of it is already true if you look around with a critical eye.

Or with a negative, contemptuous eye.

Come on. One of the biggest sources of controversy on the internets are puzzles asking for the answer to equations like "5+5+5-5*5+5" -- if that is not idiocracy then I don't know how else you would define idiocracy. (overall, 53% of the people have the wrong answer to this 1-st grade problem).

Isn't the answer -5... are they really teaching negative numbers in first grade?!?

The last time I went to my doctor a few months ago I swear the diagnosis was straight from Idiocracy. Everyone I told about it that had seen the movie laughed hysterically, those that hadn't gave me a blank stare and said "I like money."

In the animal kingdom, traits like intelligence are inherited. With humans, we are not allowed to recognize this.

How many times have we observed that stupid people often (not always) have stupid kids? Smart people often (not always) have smart kids. (In general, don't flame me because you can only think in absolutes.)

Had a conversation with an intelligence-trait "Denyer" once. She insisted that in humans we don't inherit intelligence. I cited a study where they found corpus callosum density was correlated with IQ, and that physical density is inherited like other features. ....She got mad, drank her Gatorade, and listened to Taylor Swift music. Need I say more?

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Is this the future that politicians are planning for us?

I'm not sure they can plan beyond the next election.

Originally Posted By: Cardenio327
I particularly like the ailment buttons in the hospital scene.

My favorite was the prison scene when the low iq detention officer let him escape. But you could argue that's not really a change.

Originally Posted By: SwedishRider
Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
A lot of it is already true if you look around with a critical eye.

Or with a negative, contemptuous eye.

Come on. One of the biggest sources of controversy on the internets are puzzles asking for the answer to equations like "5+5+5-5*5+5" -- if that is not idiocracy then I don't know how else you would define idiocracy. (overall, 53% of the people have the wrong answer to this 1-st grade problem).

Isn't the answer -5... are they really teaching negative numbers in first grade?!?

I keep coming up with -15. You do the multiplication first, of course, but the 4th number is not -5, or the last 3 numbers would just be hanging there with no operator. So the 3 5s give 15. 15 - (25 + 5) = 15 - 30 or -15.

In my schools they didn't start talking about negative numbers and the "number line" until I was in 7th grade, so negatives probably wouldn't be touched on in first grade.

Originally Posted By: ExMachina
In the animal kingdom, traits like intelligence are inherited. With humans, we are not allowed to recognize this.

How many times have we observed that stupid people often (not always) have stupid kids? Smart people often (not always) have smart kids. (In general, don't flame me because you can only think in absolutes.)

Had a conversation with an intelligence-trait "Denyer" once. She insisted that in humans we don't inherit intelligence. I cited a study where they found corpus callosum density was correlated with IQ, and that physical density is inherited like other features. ....She got mad, drank her Gatorade, and listened to Taylor Swift music. Need I say more?

And if you are a Dee
Please don't marry a Dee
Cause then your kids will be
Dee dee dee

www.cc.com/video-clips/ywukry

^better to see the music video
wink.gif

I don't drink coffee, but if Starbucks turns out like that I might actually go in the place!
laugh.gif

Upgrayedd is my hero, because a pimp's love is very different from that of a square...

Originally Posted By: ExMachina

Yeah...more proof of the Dunning-Krueger effect...AKA "it takes a clue to know that you're clueless"...

Of course intelligence is inherited, just like physical strength, and, just like physical strength, it takes both the inherited traits, and the environment to bring it to full fruition...

This young lady in your anecdote has been told her whole life how wonderful and smart she is...whether it was true or not...how dare you upset her with reality!

Now, for the record, my youngest likes Taylor Swift. Her 9th grade GPA, in which she took 10th grade math, was a 98.7. So, the mere act of listening to Taylor Swift is not an indicator of innate intelligence, or lack thereof...

Originally Posted By: Astro14

Of course intelligence is inherited,

Now, for the record, my youngest likes Taylor Swift. Her 9th grade GPA, in which she took 10th grade math, was a 98.7. So, the mere act of listening to Taylor Swift is not an indicator of innate intelligence, or lack thereof...

Then where did your daughter get her smarts? Pilots are middle of the road. The guys designing the jets are top tier.

I don't think intelligence is inherited any more than good health. Cancer and other diseases skip generations. There is a matter of luck involved.

She's most probably moderately intelligent. The smartest people tend not to do well in school because they are so board.

I think that's one of the biggest stomach turning conversations on the planet. These yuppie parents braging about how smart their kids are.

K
Originally Posted By: turtlevette

Of course intelligence is inherited,

Then where did your daughter get her smarts? Pilots are middle of the road. The guys designing the jets are top tier.

I don't think intelligence is inherited any more than good health. Cancer and other diseases skip generations. There is a matter of luck involved.

She's most probably moderately intelligent. The smartest people tend not to do well in school because they are so board.

I think that's one of the biggest stomach turning conversations on the planet. These yuppie parents braging about how smart their kids are.

I wouldn't know about pilots' intelligence in general, so I won't argue your observation.

But if you're judging a person solely on the basis of their occupation, then you're both superficial and a snob.

It was more a defense of kids that listen to Taylor Swift - that musical choice is not an indicator of intelligence one way or the other.

And some day, when you have children, let us both hope that you'll be proud of them. Perhaps then you'll understand how parents feel. I certainly am proud of my three children.

I wouldn't know about pilots' intelligence in general, so I won't argue your observation.

But if you're judging a person solely on the basis of their occupation, then you're both superficial and a snob.

To say it's genetic is worse than being a snob. Smacks of a master race type mentality.

To say it's genetic is worse than being a snob. Smacks of a master race type mentality.

But it is genetic, to a large degree.

You want to win an Olympic medal? Choose your parents carefully. You need certain genetic traits, certain physical attributes that come from heredity. Without them, all the training in the world won't get you that podium.

Is your point that intelligence is completely random?

I don't buy that at all...you've never heard the expression, "the apple doesn't fall far from the tree"? It's still around because, to a large degree, it's true.

Since you have already made specious assumptions about me, based on one data point, my present profession, we won't use my children as an example.

Last edited:
Its happening, the unmotivated and lazy are sitting back and having 10 kids propagating their genes with no ability to control themselves. Those of us with self control are smart enough to have the number of kids we can afford to raise ourselves. Who can't see where this population is headed?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spasm3
Its happening, the unmotivated and lazy are sitting back and having 10 kids propagating their genes with no ability to control themselves. Those of us with self control are smart enough to have the number of kids we can afford to raise ourselves. Who can't see where this population is headed?

So true. In our family we have a new baby, born to a teenage 3rd generation welfare baby. At least with this one we know who the father is. A + I guess.

Since you have already made specious assumptions about me, based on one data point, my present profession,

Its more than one. And none of that is based on your profession. More just differences in political and life view. On the contrary, who wouldn't want to be a Navy fighter pilot. It's bad [censored], honorable, courageous and on and on. Almost as good as being an astronaut. I was just busting on you to make a point.

Since you have already made specious assumptions about me, based on one data point, my present profession,

Its more than one. And none of that is based on your profession. More just differences in political and life view. On the contrary, who wouldn't want to be a Navy fighter pilot. It's bad [censored], honorable, courageous and on and on. Almost as good as being an astronaut. I was just busting on you to make a point.

Then I guess I'm missing the point...

If it's: listening to Taylor Swift is a sign of low intelligence, well, I disagree, though I'm not a fan of hers.

If it's: intelligence is random, well, I disagree on that one, too.

If it's: Astro is a dummy, his smart kid proves my second point...well, I'll probably disagree on that too...

Finally, don't ignore the effect of environment as I mentioned above. Nature vs nurture is akin to asking what's more important in the area of a rectangle: length, or width?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back