Watched "Idiocracy" Movie - interesting concept!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never heard of the 2006 movie "Idiocracy" until it recently appeared on HBO.

It has an intriguing concept so I decided to watch it. The movie had it's comedic moments. I liked the prison scene which is in the trailer, although it didn't look like much had really changed there.

Here's the synopsis and trailer:

Originally Posted By: IMDB
In 2005, average in every way private Joe Bowers (Luke Wilson) is selected to take part in a secret military experiment to put him in hibernation for a year along with a woman named Rita (Maya Rudolph). The slumbering duo is forgotten when the base they are stored on is closed down and are left in stasis until 2505. When they finally wake up, they discover the average intelligence of humans has decreased so much that Joe is now the smartest man in the world.

Originally Posted By: MrQuackers
Almost there already LOL

You kind of wonder with all the Zombies walking around, or sitting motionless facilitating their bodies to deteriorate.....

The premise, outlined in the first ten minutes, is both hilarious...

And frighteningly accurate....

It seems we are "dumbing down" here, at least in the last 10-20 years or so.

Interesting flick, I love the idea but haven't seen it...

I think Judge was inspired by several stories written by SF writer C.M. Kornbluth back in the 1950s, "The marching Morons" and "The Little Black Bag." Very much the same idea as "Idiocracy": the idiots outbred the smarter people. In Kornbluth's vision, the small group of "supernormals," who would like to live apart from the "normals" (who are dummies), have to run things, but they allow the idiots to think they're intelligent and that the supernormals are their inferiors. The supernormals have a tour of duty, like the Army, where they work in secret to keep the idiots from destroying themselves; then the supernormals get time off with their own kind.

I'd read someplace that Kornbluth's idea had been disproved by science since his day. But whenever I read news stories or go out in public, I know darn well he was right!

(ETA: the Wikipedia page mentions Kornbluth. Good.)

"Water, from out the toilet"

I love, it but it hits way too close to home some days for me. More accurate every year that goes by.

I see that movie as a documentary of what we will be in 40-50 years. A lot of it is already true if you look around with a critical eye.

Every time I see a Gatorade commercial, I laugh and think of that movie. (Wish sports teams would realize drinking V8 followed by watered-down blueberry-orange real-juice blends would be far better.) Yet the sponsorships and money, and the Future, is with Gatorade.... next thing u know they will be putting that [censored] on our crops....)

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
A lot of it is already true if you look around with a critical eye.

Or with a negative, contemptuous eye.

Come on. One of the biggest sources of controversy on the internets are puzzles asking for the answer to equations like "5+5+5-5*5+5" -- if that is not idiocracy then I don't know how else you would define idiocracy. (overall, 53% of the people have the wrong answer to this 1-st grade problem).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back