Watch your tailgates pickup owners

Status
Not open for further replies.
The bad guys have been doing that for decades. Someone tried to get my 1994 F150 gate in Las Vegas. The hotel security caught him with other tailgates that were hot in his van.

Today's gates don't even require tools. I can take one off and be gone in less than 20 seconds.

Bill

20 years ago my uncle (a Vermont farmer) left his pickup out in the field overnight.

When he arrived at daybreak the next day, the dome light of the truck was on...both doors had been stolen!

When I was a kid some jerk stole a transmission from my crossing guard's 72 Bronco, right out of her driveway in the middle of the night!

What did he do, wrap his tools in duct tape so they wouldn't clank?
mad.gif

In my area, you'd better consider the value of your life before attempting to take parts from a man's truck.

That ranks somewhere above stealing his wife.

Some years ago, I think some manufacturers started adding key locks to the tailgate. For some reason, I'm thinking that Ford and Nissan did this. Maybe others as well. It doesn't make it impossible to steal a tailgate, but it does make it a much harder target in a parking lot of unlocked 'gates.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Some years ago, I think some manufacturers started adding key locks to the tailgate. For some reason, I'm thinking that Ford and Nissan did this. Maybe others as well. It doesn't make it impossible to steal a tailgate, but it does make it a much harder target in a parking lot of unlocked 'gates.

I am almost certain that F-150s from 2006 forward have it built in. I know 2008 up does; as you say it will not prevent stealing them, just causes the thief to move on to the next unlocked one...

Gm also has locking tailgate.

Tailgates are stolen in my town all the time. Another theft item is a gardener's pickup truck, with all the gear in it.

As for other kinds of theft, a buddy of mine has a crooked half brother, whose business is art, maps, and illustrations made from about 1400 to 1800. Maps you find in works by Amerigo Vespucci, Hakluyt, and guys like that.

The half brother had a very lively business. Most of these works he would steal himself, from libraries, archives, and such. He would cut them out of the books and roll them into plastic container. He was slick, dressed impeccably, and posed as a professor or researcher, doing his for years and years.

He was busted and did time for theft and tax evasion, but for all we know, he is still at it. When that Picasso pencil drawing was stolen in San Francisco, I wondered if "Crooked Gilbert" was the guy who did it.

Both my '97 and '99 F15os had locking tailgates. Not exactly a foolproof deterent, but enough to usually make someone move on to the next one to avoid the hassle. Was nice with a hard bed cap too to make a more secure storage area.

I keep mine locked. Here in San Antonio, the thieves (mostly illegals) are stealing catalytic converters from parked cars at shopping malls, grocery stores, etc. They are also stealing man-hole covers and anything containing copper. One fool reasoned that high-power transmission lines would contain the most copper, so he tried to steal that. They found parts of him on the tower and rest on the ground.

Originally Posted By: modularv8
I keep mine locked. Here in San Antonio, the thieves (mostly illegals) are stealing catalytic converters from parked cars at shopping malls, grocery stores, etc. They are also stealing man-hole covers and anything containing copper. One fool reasoned that high-power transmission lines would contain the most copper, so he tried to steal that. They found parts of him on the tower and rest on the ground.

If only the others would explore theft in the same manner we'd have much fewer problems
frown.gif

Ford started offering tailgate locks with the 1997 F-150. Other manufacturers and the aftermarket started offering them shortly after that.

Tailgate theft is a pretty old and still pretty common issue. Even a dented tailgate is easy scrap metal. A straight one in good shape is probably worth hundreds on eBay or Craigslist.

Originally Posted By: modularv8

oh little did he know those are aluminum.

Some guys on the Tacoma 4M are using screw type hose clamps around the pivot that has the cut-out. May work on others. Doesn't make the tail gate completely secure, but would sure complicate the task.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back