Watch your tailgates pickup owners

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: modularv8
I keep mine locked. Here in San Antonio, the thieves (mostly illegals) are stealing catalytic converters from parked cars at shopping malls, grocery stores, etc. They are also stealing man-hole covers and anything containing copper. One fool reasoned that high-power transmission lines would contain the most copper, so he tried to steal that. They found parts of him on the tower and rest on the ground.

If only the others would explore theft in the same manner we'd have much fewer problems
frown.gif

Absolutely, I hope more geniuses choose to try this. I'd like to order up more Darwin Awards too.

In Texas if you catch someone stealing your tailgate on your property you can shoot them dead. In less civilized states we sadly cannot.

Messing with a mans truck is about on the same level as messing with his wife, daughter, horse, or dogs. Shoot em.

Last edited:
@hattaresguy:

I live in SC they won't let you go that far, but I know citizens would like to make it that way here too. Here the castle law only extends to inside your house or dwelling.

Can you imagine how much safer our communities would all be if EVERY single state had a similar castle law? I bet the crime rates would drop to near ZERO almost overnight.

Not surprising... the neighbor's grandson now has a tailgate on his truck that is a different color. His must have been stolen.

I have a locking fiberglass lid on my truck, and the lid has a lip that wraps up and over the tailgate, and slightly down the outside edge.

That should solve that problem.

As for shooting someone...

If they have tools in their hands and appear threatening, that's about all you need for justification in many states, including Florida.

Originally Posted By: MNgopher
Both my '97 and '99 F15os had locking tailgates. Not exactly a foolproof deterent, but enough to usually make someone move on to the next one to avoid the hassle. Was nice with a hard bed cap too to make a more secure storage area.

My 97 F150 had the lock on the gate but the thing seemed like it weighed a ton! The few times I removed it was a exercise in strength!
My new truck also has a locking gate. But here where I live, your vehicle is an extension of your home and under our "castle" law, we can do whatever it takes to protect it.

Originally Posted By: urchin
@hattaresguy:

I live in SC they won't let you go that far, but I know citizens would like to make it that way here too. Here the castle law only extends to inside your house or dwelling.

Can you imagine how much safer our communities would all be if EVERY single state had a similar castle law? I bet the crime rates would drop to near ZERO almost overnight.

If you can't shoot the perp can you at least make sure his vehicle is undrivable due to lead poisoning
wink.gif
? Unfortunately I live in wussyland NJ and the cops will throw your butt in jail and let the perp go, so he can sue you for damages and win.

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back