Watch Time

Recently acquired a Vostok Komandirskie automatic for about $56 USD. It came to me all the way from Russia nicely boxed. It is hand winding only, non hacking. It seems too crude for my watch collection but I am gobsmacked at the accuracy of this watch. After checking it for several days, it is is ~+- 10sec/day, unregulated. That is chronometer territory. Mine is the same model but with a beige NATO strap.

1627592624225.jpg

They make very sturdy watches. I have an amphibia dive watch. But wait, you said automatic, then you said hand winding only. They make both.

Bet you didn't know Russia didn't have a watch industry until a Russian corporation purchased a defunct Ohio watchmaker and shipped the machinery to Russia and several former employees moved to Russia and taught the Russians how to be watchmakers.

Recently acquired a Vostok Komandirskie automatic for about $56 USD.

Post the link, I'm in for one (or three) at that. I have a step-son with a Russian mom, this would be a great gift.

it is is ~+- 10sec/day, unregulated. That is chronometer territory.

Noooo - that's like "good" automatic territory. I have a Seiko SRP777 (automatic) that does +/- 2 seconds every FIVE days - that's good/great. My 1983 Seiko 7A28-7079 ("Grey Ghost", bought new - quartz chronometer) does +/- 2 seconds every six months - that's good digital chronometer territory. ;)

A lot of people have unregulated automatics that vary all over the place. Regulate them and they get into +/- 10 seconds a day territory if worn (not wearing them changes the mechanism's dynamics).

Now, that said, if it came out of the box doing that, that's actually fantastic and better than most automatics - but not explicitly "chronometer" territory. Since the early '80s they've almost all been quartz and highly accurate.

Post the link! I'm interested!

I had one of these. They're fun, but the plating is poor. Mine started to wear off in about three years.

I have one of those, bought it in the late 90s. Always liked it. Never wore it much.

Post the link! I'm interested!

Mine is the same watch but has a canvas NATO strap. It is sure no chronometer but is more accurate than every mechanical Seiko I have. I have a few chronometers and the best is a Breitling Aerospace. Of course it has a quartz movement accurate to about +/- 5 seconds per month.

1627647383704.jpg

Back