Watch out for RTV Expiration Dates

I purchased this tube of Hondabond HT in Dec 2021.

EE4BA2C0-4394-4009-8F2C-DE8630AE7CF6.jpeg

Upon closer inspection, the code on the bottom of the tube says "Lot U21E29 JD 21162." Since HondaBond HT tubes do not list an expiration date like the Toyota FIPG tubes, I reached out to a contact at Threebond. My contact advised that this product was manufactured in May 2021 and is expired. Apparently, this particular Threebond product only has a 9-month shelf life when unopened.

Needless to say, this tube is going in the trash. It is always a good idea to verify expiration dates for products that could result in a costly redo. RTV is becoming one product where shelf life is highly variable and must be carefully monitored.

i call BS on some of these expiration dates. i have a bottle of loctite i have been using for 10 years and it still works the same. supposed to have a 1 year shelf life

how about doing an experiment and applying your tube to some parts and see what happens.

how about doing an experiment and applying your tube to some parts and see what happens.
I'll send you the tube if you want to experiment for me. I am doing chains and a lower oil pan on a K24, not exactly a job that I want to repeat for fun.

EDIT:

Just an example, but not from me:

I personally had a tube of 1207b (fipg black) that was used (but capped) for several weeks. The tube had not reached its expiration date yet. I used it to do a cam housing and it was a bit more difficult than usual to squeeze out. I had a bad feeling about it, so I tore it back down several hours later. The sealant was still wet in a few spots. I bought a new tube and it squeezed out like butter.

Expired sealants are a YMMV situation. Sometimes they are OK and just take a bit longer to cure. But sometimes, they won't fully cure at all.

Last edited:
Does Permatex label their stuff with an expiration date? Can't say I've ever looked...

I use it when I buy it and throw the rest away. I use it so infrequently it makes no sense to keep new tubes and used stuff goes bad in no time.

That is why people overdo RTV when installing parts. You paid for it, you might as well get your money's worth and use the whole tube. Who wants to throw away money?

That is why people overdo RTV when installing parts. You paid for it, you might as well get your money's worth and use the whole tube. Who wants to throw away money?
I’ll agree, but put it another way: who wants to have to do a big, time-consuming job a second time, just because you tried to save $5 on RTV?

I buy a tube of RTV, write the month/year on it, and replace it when it gets to be a year old.

If you’re (not you, Supton, but the hypothetical RTV user) going through your RTV quickly, you’re either a professional doing lots of jobs, or an amateur that uses way to much. A 2.0mm bead is usually more than enough to seal a flange.

I’ll agree, but put it another way: who wants to have to do a big, time-consuming job a second time, just because you tried to save $5 on RTV?

I buy a tube of RTV, write the month/year on it, and replace it when it gets to be a year old.

If you’re (not you, Supton, but the hypothetical RTV user) going through your RTV quickly, you’re either a professional doing lots of jobs, or an amateur that uses way to much. A 2.0mm bead is usually more than enough to seal a flange.
Agreed. Though, I don't know if I would use 1 year as my cut-off. Most tubes that I have purchased have an expiration date within a few months of receiving it.

I only use RTV where there is no alternative, 99% of the time I couldn't use a whole tube if I tried and I buy the smallest tube I can get. I have no problem tossing it in the bin if I got done what I bought it for.

Edit: I hate RTV, FIPG, and avoid it if at all possible.

I only use RTV where there is no alternative, 99% of the time I couldn't use a whole tube if I tried and I buy the smallest tube I can get. I have no problem tossing it in the bin if I got done what I bought it for.

Edit: I hate RTV, FIPG, and avoid it if at all possible.
Bad news is that most timing covers, oil pans, cam cradles, etc. require the gap fill abilities of RTV. Even VAG had to go back to RTV on their 2009-current EA888 cam girdle/covers because anaerobic just wasn't working out.

I just ran into this with a tube of DOWSIL 732. Wouldn't cure even after 48 hours. More than a year out of date. Oops.

After a bunch of scraping and cursing and a new tube later...

The siloxanes and solvents in the silicone will be fine but the curing agent added to it is another thing. All RTV is moisture cured via an oxime or acetoxy element that cross links the siloxane chains together.

Hence why the clock is ticking once you open the tube. It’s really only good for up to a month once opened.

Reactions: a5m
Back