Watch engraving?

Picked up a fleabay Wenger watch for quite the steal, come to find out there was a reason for that. Has some very professional looking engraving on the rear battery cover thanking a fully named individual for 15 years of service.

While this is invisible during wear and doesn’t affect function in the least I will just feel weird wearing a watch engraved with some random name. I can’t believe this is a rare scenario- is anybody familiar with if/how/who to approach this repair? FWIW this is a Wenger watch with a nicely polished stainless steel case and battery cover.

I've been a watch collector for a while, albeit mostly older American pieces.

In shorthand, we often call engravings "Presentations", which in your case it sounds like you do have what could reasonably called a complete "presentation"(not just a name).

In the past, these were often buffed out or otherwise removed, which can look worse than leaving well enough alone.

Many collectors now have come around to appreciating what these are. They are part of the history of the watch, and many times the engraving-whether a simple monogram or something a lot more detailed/elaborate-can be a piece of art in and of itself.

I keep things as-is personally.

Is it too deep to take a white cotton buffing wheel to it? If so, take a mild polishing wheel to it and then finish it up with the white cotton.

Back